Sign in to follow this  
scottboy1973

45 & 60 degree questions

Simple question here what are the advantages or differencees between a 45 or 60 degree blades? Seems like a basic one, but I would like to know.

from what I've heard and seen the 45 degree blade is your general all purpose. The 60 degree is for thicker materials and some people use it for cutting intricate designs.

Guest fivestar

I am using 60 degree blades exclusively now.  I have found them to seem to cut alot better on intricate stuff.

WOW that was my 2000th post.  :thumbsup:;D:P

I am using 60 degree blades exclusively now.  I have found them to seem to cut alot better on intricate stuff.

WOW that was my 2000th post.  :thumbsup:;D:P

Congrats! I've still a long way to catch back up to you guys

I started with the 45 -- finally ordered a pack of 60's from USCutter -- I will NEVER go back to 45's!!!

The 60's cut everything smoother and easier. It will take a few tests to get the blade set properly, but once it is there WOW what a difference!

As the old commercials said

TRY IT 

YOU'LL LIKE IT

just my .02

I didn't know that 60's cut smaller designs in most materials.  So I must ask why do we use 45's?  Do they cut something else better?

Doing a lot of research on blades, what I have found is that the important thing for cutting small intricate designs in getting blades with a lower offset.  They do sell blades that have an offset of .17, which is designed for small/intricate cuts.  I've had trouble finding places to buy them, though.

I started with the 45 -- finally ordered a pack of 60's from USCutter -- I will NEVER go back to 45's!!!

The 60's cut everything smoother and easier. It will take a few tests to get the blade set properly, but once it is there WOW what a difference!

As the old commercials said

TRY IT 

YOU'LL LIKE IT

just my .02

Hi , I got a bunch of 60's on the way . Is there any setting differences other than the down pressure ? i got a Copam 2500 . Thanks , Rodger :)

Guest fivestar

Rodger just out of curiosity, are you rmyersexcavation on Ebay?

Hi , I got a bunch of 60's on the way . Is there any setting differences other than the down pressure ? i got a Copam 2500 . Thanks , Rodger :)

Rodger... yes, most likely you will have to lower your blade pressure about 10 to 20 since the 60 degree blade is a tad longer(pointier) than the 45 degree blade.

I've also noticed, you will have to test & adjust your blade pressure when replacing a blade too... even you are using the same degree blade!

Fivestar ; RMyersExcavation is me , looks ALOT different in all lower case  ;D

Firemalt ; Thanks ! I do good with adjusting things , but don't know why . I have not cut enough to have found out the wrong way I'm guessing . I put the blade out enough to where my rough hands just feel the tip & everything works great . What happens if the blade is out too far ( breaks ? ) ?

Regards , Rodger Myers

Guest fivestar

Rodger if the blade is out too far it will go all the way through the vinyl and backing.  You'll know if it's out too far.  :);D ;D

Yeah... if you have metal on metal sound(blade through the vinyl, backing, and cutting strip), this may be a sign that the blade pressure is a little too heavy!

Well, this discussion encouraged me to get 2 more lots of 60 degree.  I think I'm set know......looking for enough business to wear out all 3 packs of 60 degree.  Funny thing ($11.05, $2.76, $5.33),  I hope the average is what USCutter needs to keep selling them.

Regis   

Guest fivestar

Regis I picked up some for .06 .11 and .31 I don't think they made much off me on them.

I noticed neither uscutter ebay account is currently selling the 60 degree blades, but have a ton of 45's.  ;D

Seems they alternate between many 45 degree blade auctions, then alot of 60 degree .