zentraveler

How to get paid with a credit card?

I did a Yahoo search and got so many results that I'd never be able to figure it out.

Here is the situation, I just got a vinyl cutter and supplies, etc and I'm going to give this business a shot. My employer wants to hire me to do the door graphics for a new shop truck and I'd really like to start making some money instead of paying out!  That being said, I'm just getting started and don't have a name, business permit etc, and the only way they can pay me is with a credit card. I know I can upgrade my paypal account to take cards, but does anyone have experience with that?

Any other ideas or suggestions on how to proceed?

Guest fivestar

In your case that may be the best way to start out.  Just upgrade your paypal account to a premiere account if I'm not mistaken, it's been a long time since I did it, but I think that's all you have to do to be able to take credit card payments.

Later on down the road I would definitely not recommend it as it can get expensive using paypal for all your transactions, but in this case it would probably be the quickest and one of the cheapest ways to make this one-time transaction.  I'm sure others will have other places they will recommend but I have my own credit card machine at the store and don't sell alot of things online, so my online experience with CC is limited.

I just use Paypal and works great for me. I just play around and take cash most of the time

Dawg

Paypal fer me too. It's free to join, easy to operate and if you feel like you need something else along the trail somewhere, go for it.

This happened to me one time. I sold a item on Ebay (as a second) meaning a slight difference from the item shown. The customer demanded a refund which meant she wanted me to pay for the return shipping. I refused, Paypal gave a refund and the customer kept the refund and the item. Didn't do any good to protest.

This is another way the scam artists are pulling fast ones on the sellers. BEWARE.

Or you could open a business bank account account and rent a Wireless Card processor and you could take VISA, Master Card and Debit Cards. This is good if you plan to take cc personally and not online.

JC

Guest rvgraphixs

Paypal also has a virtual machine for credit cards over the phone I think its 30 bucks a month

My advise is to stay away from credit cards and Paypal. Your employer can pay you through normal payroll as a subcontractor.(labor only) 1099 at the end of the year. No business name necessary. That simple.

I've probably had $30,000+ in payments made through paypal,including credit cards...without a single problem in 3 years.

Just my personal experience.

My advise is to stay away from credit cards and Paypal. Your employer can pay you through normal payroll as a subcontractor.(labor only) 1099 at the end of the year. No business name necessary. That simple.

Unfortunately my company is terrible about paying its suppliers and sub contractors. They basicly told me if I wanted to get paid in a reasonable amount of time, it would be best to just take a credit card. They did say if I didn't want to do credit cards I had to submit to be an approved supplier or whatever..corporations suck.

Pay pal is good with small volume but the $30 a month fees are crazy.  There is another company - that I'm in process of setting up with.  I have several colleagues that use them very successfully.  Their prices are terrific and you can call in a credit card or use the computer to process.

http://www.propay.com

good luck!

Guest Schramm

I absolutley HATE PayPal, I have had nothing but problems with them and they return funds in about 10 seconds if they here any bad information from customer!  You can never win with them...  I use Google Checkout and have been with them since they opened about 2 years ago, I have never had a issue with them and the money is automatically dropped every 2 days without requesting it.

As far as PayPal I used to sell on Ebay and had better than 50,000 positive feedback and over the 4 years that I was on there using PayPal I lost well over $12,000 due to returns of moneies to customers out of the country (thats a big one) or them refunding customers for damage goods even though they refused to send product back or send pics of actual damage!!!  Trust me when I say if you have not been burned by PayPal yet it is only a matter of time!!!

PayPal is great for the buyer, but the fees and attitude can be a problem for the Seller.  Be sure you document delivery of product and such because if you can't prove you delivered what you promised you'll be out the money and the product.