Sign in to follow this  
BandM

Air bubbles in vinyl letters on a banner! PLEASE HELP!!!

We are new to the banner making business and we are having all kinds of problems. We are currently doing a 3X8 with 14" tall letters that spell out "OPEN HOUSE", we have watched You Tube videos and read alot of instructions, but when we layed out the first word (OPEN) it is loaded with air bubbbles. It is really bad!! We have no idea what we did wrong, I guess my first question is should the banner be stretched out tight and clammped? In the You Tube videos they just have the banners loose. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

To fix your current problem... get a sewing needle, and prick one end of the bubble and squeezee from the other side. The small needle hole will self-repair over time, just make sure you only punch one hole though.

If there are too many air bubbles to do this... just pull all the vinyl off the banner, start over, and caulk that off as a learning experience.  :thumbsup:

I would HIGHLY recommend(and others will too) doing the "wet app" for banners. There are plenty of topics on this site on how to make your own homemade brew for appilcation fluid. Do some searches on you tube for wet application, wet app, or rapid tac.

BTW... Welcome to the forum, good luck, and post some pics of your finished product!

also you should watch "the big squeegee" i use the same idea only dry and it works really good. we are also new. alot of getting started in this business is trial and error. so plan on wasting some vinyl. i know we have wasted a little bit getting the idea of how to do things. you are on the right track asking questions on this site. the guys and gals are great and really smart.

God Bless and good luck with all your adventures.

Guest rvgraphixs

for sure a wet app is required there is a great solution one here, but to save some time just 2 drops of dawn dish soap with 1 cup of water will work with a banner. Wet the banner where the decal is going then place the decal backside up where its going to go and peel the backing off. this way the wetness will keep it in place. then wet the decals back side then flip over and place. Make sure to squeegee from the inside out start in the center and go up then center down then center left ,etc.. until its on with no air bubbles. If the decals are havening a hard time sticking then there is too much dawn in the water. I use a washcloth to apply the water solution and then have a dry dish towel to get the excess water up when squeegeeing.

I think the big problem to begin with is you MUST HAVE A SMOOTH BACKGROUND to stretch your banner on, get your letters in place and use the hinge method of pressing down your letters. This should eliminate the use of application fluid.

let the letters set for 1/2 to 1 hr. Then spray the back of the contact paper and it it will almost slide off by itself.

Pulling the tape off the letters to soon creates a lot of bubbles.

Surprised banner John hasn't commented.

He was already told to do it wet,which is what ALL newbees should do. Dry is NOT for newbees.

Guest rvgraphixs

I just read somewhere that dawn works best and have always used it, although I did use some really cheap dollar store stuff in a pinch and it worked.

Should the banner be streched tight or is it ok to be a little loose?

Guest sciondrgn

The few banners i have done, just laid out loosely on the table with the wet app method and it works fine!

the only time I have to stretch tight is when there is a wrinkle or  fold. If they lay flat,that's all that matters.

I have always stapled mine to a smooth wall. Smooth out any wrinkles and follow the instructions I have already posted.

A smooth wall can be achieved by tacking up some inexpensive sheetrock or sheeted foam insulation.

But to each his own.

A set up like I have described, I could have the banner finished before they returned to their business place after placing an order with me.

(I didn't tell them that though.) :thumbsup:

Just finished reading all your ideas and wanted to thank all of ya, the info here will help me alot..

Kris