RyanJ

Application Fluid

Does anyone know how you can make your own application fluid?  I thought I had heard or read that it can be done.  I've also heard one time that it's water mixed with a drop of dish detergent, and the next time it's water mixed with windex.  Anyone know.  I know you can buy stuff, but I don't like ordering stuff that I can make on my own, especially when I won't use it that much.

You can make your own application fluid.But I wouldn't use windex or anything with amonia in it.The amonia breaks down the chemicals in the adhesive and shorten the time it will stay on.And I've heard that if you put too much soap in,it will cause soap bubbles.

Billy,

one fellow told me a spray bottle full of water with one drop of dawn dish detergent.  Does that sound reasonable?  It's hard to get bubbles with that little soap!

I've heard of people using one drop of soap in a gallon of water.But dawn has a degreaser in it.I know it doesn't seem like it would do much,but degreaser would shorten the life of the adhesive.

It's sold in camera stores that still deal with film photography.  It is a super wetting agent and since it is safe for photographic film it should be good for vinyl.  A few drops in water and when you put film into it, the solutionr will not bead up.

Ron in Alaska

I use cheap store brand dishsoap, but i put like 3-5 drops into a quart and then add a teaspoon of isopropyl alcohol to it because it seems to set quicker... Always shake it up before use.

Works great for me... Alot cheaper then RapidTac

I use cheap store brand dishsoap, but i put like 3-5 drops into a quart and then add a teaspoon of isopropyl alcohol to it because it seems to set quicker... Always shake it up before use.

Works great for me... Alot cheaper then RapidTac

Exactly what i use,and I go through a  gallon a week...lots of banners. And believe me,it doesn't affect the adhesive,as I have learned when trying to remove numbers months later,changing the date for an event.

I was asking at the local sign supply place about app fluid and the guy told me flat out...don't waste your money,make your own.It works just as well. So I do,and have been very happy with it.

He did tell me to NOT put alcohol in it if I was going to use cheaper grade vinyl made by gmi. Just that one brand.

The whole point of app fuild is to remove the air,and allow you to position before it sticks. Once you remove the fuild,if done right,there shouldn't be any bubble at all. I can't remember the last bubble I had to pop.