Sign in to follow this  
Knobhill

New to sign business and cutters suggestion

I've been in the lettering business for many years an now opened my own shop. I see many people wasting vinyl trying to get their cutter to work correctly. Try dry cutting first. No vinyle and the blade holder not installed with minimal cutting force setting. I use this method to see what the cutter does with the driver selected. This is best for testing software that does not have an exact driver for your plotter and you need to use a generic or other mfg's driver. I ran into problems today using a mfg recommended driver and needed to find another. It worked and I only wasted 10' of vinyl. I had the advantage of knowing where the error occurred, but it should also help with initial setup too. Doing small test cuts would be the next step. my 2cts

Great suggestion. I also try to suggest switching to the plotting pen with some butcher paper for practicing, and not having to waste $$ on vinyl.

Congrats on your own shop. Which program and cutter were you fiddling with?

:huh:

I'm currently using SBE trial (untill activation is fixed) and Vinyl Master Pro. Pcut 630 with a Bridge Pro 720 (rebadged Refine) as backup. I  have to admit I like both cutters. Today I had more anomalies with the Bridge so I decided to install a serial card and get rid of the USB. I'll post my results. The Pcut has been on serial from day one and performs flawlessly.

Pen plot is a good idea also. I've just been dry running the plotter and watching it. The anomalies are so apparent they're easy to spot.

I think you will have less problems once you get the 720 over to Serial.