Sign in to follow this  
dnewcomb

Best software to use - pros and cons!

G'day all!  I would of put this in a general section in the software area, but there isn't one  :huh:

Anywho - I got Artcut with my cutter and I've been mucking around with it quite a bit.  Quite easy if you're doing text cuts, however, it doesn't like all EPS files I try to import, even ones I make with Inkscape seem to turn themselves inside out which is a bit weird.  So I'm after information which software would be the best for me.  I mainly cut text and some simple graphical images, but I want the damn thing to work with images I get off the web like product logos.  :huh:

All information is greatly appreciated.  :D

Sorry to say I have ArtCut, hated it and uninstalled it the same day. I suggest getting SignBlazer Elements. Unless you want to spend  lots of money this has the most bang for the buck. Does most everything needed for a startup shop and more being very easy to setup and use. Look around here for links to the free trial download and give it a try. It's fully functional. I think you'll like it.

Thanks KH - I tried downloading SBE last night but i keep getting errors when I attempt to fire it up.

Guest crshirts

Keep tryin Dion......artcut is the worst. I had same problem.

Carl

Thanks KH - I tried downloading SBE last night but i keep getting errors when I attempt to fire it up.

Sounds like your computer needs a good cleaning or your download is corrupted. Post the errors and we may be able to help.

Ah KH - I see where you're going  :huh:  Fresh build mate - only thing thats been installed is Inkscape, Artcut, Acrobat Reader 9 and Office 2003  :huh:  I'll post up the file errors when I get home.

G'day all!  I would of put this in a general section in the software area, but there isn't one  :huh:

Anywho - I got Artcut with my cutter and I've been mucking around with it quite a bit.  Quite easy if you're doing text cuts, however, it doesn't like all EPS files I try to import, even ones I make with Inkscape seem to turn themselves inside out which is a bit weird.  So I'm after information which software would be the best for me.  I mainly cut text and some simple graphical images, but I want the damn thing to work with images I get off the web like product logos.   :huh:

All information is greatly appreciated.  ;D

General category in the software area! Great idea!! It is a bugger trying to keep up with miscatagorized threads. Perhaps I should make a General category for each area? Now I'm going to have to bump this one to the website feedback and suggestion board.    :D

SignCut is strictly a great cutting platform, and when you utilize InkScape, Corel Draw, or Adobe Illustrator, they seem to mesh seemlessly. It has plug-ins for Illy and Corel, and it accepts .eps, .ai, and even .svg (InkScape format). It does not have design features, and it is subscription based.

SignBlazer is great for those who do not already own a design program, or do not plan on getting one because SignBlazer does have its own design features, plus it cuts. It is not a subscription based program.

SignCut runs on Mac or Windows, but SignBlazer will only run on a Wndows OS.

The issue with ArtCut turning InkScape .eps files inside out is indeed strange. Are you running the latest version of InkScape?

:)

Hey Ken - I'm using Inkscape 0.46 which was installed about 2 days ago  :huh:

The error I get when trying to fire up SBE is an error finding a file called WIDGE32.DLL and it suggests a reinstall of the application.  This has been done, and I get the same error.

Yea, I've been looking at SignCut cause I have Inkscape, Corel AND Illustrator at my fingertips  :huh:  Only thing that's making me stall is the cost - I'm not into getting subscriptions so it's dongle or nothing.  Cost is a little high, but I just gotta get a big job once and it'll pay for it  :D

I use SignCut and love it. I have an LP24 and original plan was strictly to contour cut with it. SBE and I didn't get along, prolly mostly my fault. If you are doing most of your art outside of the cutting proggie give SC a shot. SBE is much more advanced as a sign proggie, I think, just wasn't my cup of tea.

Bob

Which version of Signblazer are you trying to install?  Here is the newest:

http://download.uscutter.com/SBEforUSCutterSetup.exe

Hey Ken - I'm using Inkscape 0.46 which was installed about 2 days ago  :huh:

The error I get when trying to fire up SBE is an error finding a file called WIDGE32.DLL and it suggests a reinstall of the application.  This has been done, and I get the same error.

Yea, I've been looking at SignCut cause I have Inkscape, Corel AND Illustrator at my fingertips  :huh:  Only thing that's making me stall is the cost - I'm not into getting subscriptions so it's dongle or nothing.  Cost is a little high, but I just gotta get a big job once and it'll pay for it  :D

Ah KH - I see where you're going  :huh:  Fresh build mate - only thing thats been installed is Inkscape, Artcut, Acrobat Reader 9 and Office 2003  :huh:  I'll post up the file errors when I get home.

Unfortunately a fresh build means nothing when dealing with MS Windows. Try a good cleaning, you may be surprised.

Ah KH - I see where you're going  ;D  Fresh build mate - only thing thats been installed is Inkscape, Artcut, Acrobat Reader 9 and Office 2003  ;D  I'll post up the file errors when I get home.

Unfortunately a fresh build means nothing when dealing with MS Windows. Try a good cleaning, you may be surprised.

That would also be my suggestion after you have tried the uninstall and reinstall with no better results. Something else on the computer is conflicting with the program.

Guest gracewriter

...or try Firefox.  Since I did that, I can download all eps files with no problem.  Before, I was lucky to get one out of 20 or so

marcuso's copy worked fine.  Overly I find SB not to be as visually pleasing, the menu is hard to navigate.  I downloaded signcut and tried a few things - found it easy to use and inkscape worked well with it.  However....I purchased the software from their website with dongle, money has gone from my paypal account and I have had no communication from them.

marcuso's copy worked fine.  Overly I find SB not to be as visually pleasing, the menu is hard to navigate.  I downloaded signcut and tried a few things - found it easy to use and inkscape worked well with it.  However....I purchased the software from their website with dongle, money has gone from my paypal account and I have had no communication from them.

Give it a day or so because there is a time difference. They are out of Sweden.

I learned how to use Adobe Illustrator in college, and not teach it at a college level.  I am probably in the minority here, but since it was the platform that was taught to me, i recommend using it for doing your logos and such.  You can even trace an image from the net and convert it to a vector file using Livetrace. There are several free tutorials on how to use the software online so it is something to consider.  Anyway, my 2 cents.