Sign in to follow this  
Guest rvgraphixs

Painted my vinyl

Guest rvgraphixs

I did this a year ago and its still holding up but its been inside. I am now going to test it on my van and will post when done.

I used Krylon Fusion

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

Going to get this next and try

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic_mystic_prism/

Anyways cut the vinyl, then paint, let dry overnight then remove the excess vinyl. It says chip resistant after 7 days of drying but I think I taped in 3 days and it worked.

I also want to do smaller items like 5 inches tall but the spray is to big so any ideas are appreciated.

This was yellow vinyl and painted with red it give a natural orange fade.

post-0-1298652101832_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986521033209_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986521057054_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986521075113_thumb.jpg

Guest fivestar

I taped mine about 10 minutes after I painted it... :o As for the spray being too big, swap the nozzle with a regular spray can nozzle, I don't like the nozzles that come on fusion cans.

Oh BTW, that looks awesome.

Guest rvgraphixs

wow so have you sold any of it? or applied outside for some time?

Guest fivestar

I never sold it, but I did a bugshield for a buddy of mine and it was on for over and yr and still looked good.  I could of places came off, but all in all it looked good.  Also that was regular krylon not fusion, which fusion is supposed to work better since it has M.E.K. in it and that's what "eats" into the vinyl, but regular krylon looked exactly like fusion when I did side by side comparisons.

Guest rvgraphixs

Thank you both very helpful info, I am going to try some different stuff with it and will post. Thanks again, the caps I was just searching for.

What about a small airbrush set up for the smaller stuff. I have alwaus wanted to try my hand at airbrushing.

Guest fivestar

Yes Print Star you can airbrush vinyl, I've never done it, but there was a post on this forum somewhere linking to a semi truck that had airbrush vinyl and it was amazing.  Can't remember what thread though.

It looks GREAT!!!!!!! damn!!!

I have a airbrush Ill ahve to try something like that

Wayne

Very nice job !!  I love the colors.  It will probally be a while before I get the nerve up

to try painting the vinyl.

Guest fivestar

tke it's simple.  Cut out what you want, go get you some Krylon Fusion paint and spray it. 

I guess you painted it from the red side at a low angle, does that sound right?

Wayne

They really look good. I have some questions that others might be interested in also. I'm thinking of giving this a try.

The Krylon website say it's fully cured after 7 days. Did you wait that long before applying the app-tape?

One coat or two?

Which type of app-tape did you use? Low tack I imagine, AT-60?

What type of vinyl?

:huh:

Guest fivestar

I don't know exactly how rv did it, but I've did it a few times and I normally let it sit for about an hour before I weed it and apply the transfer tape to it.  As for the tape, I just used regular med tack paper tape.

You'll know when it's dried, it will "become" part of the vinyl.  It basically eats itself into the vinyl and feels like it is part of it when it's dried.

Guest rvgraphixs

It was a 24 inch vinyl I cut 2 sets and painted in the middle of both of them 3 passes. Then as Five said I let it dry an hour and then weeded it, I still have not put the tape on last time I waited 3 days and used clear tape. It was one coat and LG6000 vinyl. I imagine low tack tape would be the best way. After it dried for 3 days I had no problem at all.

Looks great. Did you clear coat it? A good airbrush gives much better control than a rattle can. I miss my airbrush setup.

Very nice, indeed. You did a really nice job on the fade from yellow to the red. That would be the hardest part for me to do. Like carrying a tune, something else I can't do .....

Guest Terry

Airbrush on black vinyl, spray cans don't give a fine ghost spray.

post-0-12986521194904_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986521207226_thumb.jpg

WOW! Terry, that is one nice piece of work! I envy those of you who can actually draw! Nice stuff Terry.

Guest crshirts

Great work :huh: I'll have to try that after all my other projects.

Carl

Guest Terry

That is nice, but I did not do that one, it was done by a guy on my airbrush forums.  :huh:

RV - Thanks for the tips. When I get some inspiration & time I'll have to give it a try.

Peabody