dbtoutfit

Digital Printed Vinyl Graphics. (using home desktop printer)

Guest manwayvan

Alright I have read every page and it seems like their is a huge share of info here. I am in the process of setting up my business to be legit and I want to start getting into printing. This def seems to be the way to go. However I noticed that some of the printer models listed are discontinued and I do not want to get stuck with something I cannot find ink for. So what is the best, largest, cheapest printer that runs a CIS and is able of producing the best quality prints..lol I know Im asking for alot. I still have to mod my pcut to accept a laser but I plan on printing soon and want to get the ball rolling so I can start buying as soon as I talk to my CPA. Thanks everyone for your hard work.

Great Post!

i order a EPSON R280 and a CISS for pigment to try some decals, also have already the PAPILIO waterproof vinyl paper,

anyone have try to refill a cartridge whit paint? thanks for your help!

Guest debogus

But wouldn't that take a special RIP ,same problem the DYS DTG guys are having which is why most print on white . Now I'm thinking even solvent printers only print on white, while the thermals like SUMMA can do white as a base coat then immediately run color as same process. Just what Ive gathered so far .

Hope somebody chimes in and shows the way its done. Even show the $$$$ minium to print white or white base.

from a article on white ink

What is the story of white ink chemistry?

Titanium dioxide is not easy to keep properly mixed. So your printer needs effective technology to keep the pigments in suspension. A cheap printer might have a cheap method; a high-end printer would tend to have a more sophisticated solution.

Be a bit careful when manufacturers are claiming their white ink works: because when I visit printshops that have this ink, they are less than satisfied.

Titanium dioxide is not easy to keep properly mixed. So unless your printer has a means to keep it stirred, the white ink may cause problems. This is really a good case of "stirred not shaken" since shaking the ink too much is not good for it either

Guest debogus

Along that line of thought

I have wondered if airbrush paint like creatix could be thinned down to a suitable viscosity

Their opaque is really opaque

Along that line of thought

I have wondered if airbrush paint like creatix could be thinned down to a suitable viscosity

Their opaque is really opaque

thats what i talking about, anyone knows if could work? even if i had to clean the cartridge every time after use it.

Guest debogus

Well soon as this printer starts to die thats one of things I want to do .

And actually see if solvent ink  will kill it like they say. :rolleyes:

In general it will work.

But problem is some rubbers used in water based printers can not handle the solvent and dryout or other chemical reactions might happen inside the head.

Using solvent inks in regular waterbased inktmachines is a different working base.

Real solvent printers use pre heaters and more to open up the vinyl and dryout the solvent.

Paco

In general it will work.

But problem is some rubbers used in water based printers can not handle the solvent and dryout or other chemical reactions might happen inside the head.

Using solvent inks in regular waterbased inktmachines is a different working base.

Real solvent printers use pre heaters and more to open up the vinyl and dryout the solvent.

Paco

thanks on that info Paco, when I have time I'll do some testing, have to see the issue of ink density, regards. julius.

Guest debogus

I had a thought about putting some sort of strip type element where that foam sponge is on the workforce,to cut down on the pizza wheel marks that happen with some material.

Great helpful topic, even at 18 pages well worth the read...  Thanks to everyone who contributed!

Just ordered the epson workforce 1100, will order the white matte vinyl from papilios..  THanks!

Well, good results with my Epson R280, using a CISS and Platinum solvent ink from "TechINK" I could print on Avery printable vinyl, black ink only for now, a week later, the printer still works, no problems. Later I put more data and a photo. :huh:

Guest debogus

Platinum solvent ink from "TechINK ?

But on Avery printable vinyl ?  Have you tryed it on regular cast or calendered ?

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 1280 and use Epson Inks. Will this printer work? I dont know what kind of ink it uses as far as pigment, solvent or waterbase. I want to go ahead and buy some printable vinyl but after reading all 19 pages, the information is overwhelming. I dont want to get the wrong thing.

Is it possible to pick a certain type of vinyl that doesnt need to be laminated after printing?

I also have a LP24 contour cutter. Hopefully all I need is the vinyl.

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 1280 and use Epson Inks. Will this printer work? I dont know what kind of ink it uses as far as pigment, solvent or waterbase. I want to go ahead and buy some printable vinyl but after reading all 19 pages, the information is overwhelming. I dont want to get the wrong thing.

Is it possible to pick a certain type of vinyl that doesnt need to be laminated after printing?

from what i could dig up it  looks like it is dye based ink - you would want a pigment based ink for vinyl and would want to laminate anything you did

from what i could dig up it  looks like it is dye based ink - you would want a pigment based ink for vinyl and would want to laminate anything you did

Can I buy the proper cartridges for my printer and if so, where? Or do I need to buy a different printer altogether?

In the quick glance last night I did not find the ink carts but I ma sure you can find someone selling aftermarket inks for it that are pigment based

I just got an Epson R1900 and want to try this out. I am going to get a roll of Sihl 3988 from Signwarehouse. I was wondering once I print it out can I use clear vinyl like Orcal 651, or do I need to get a clear laminate to go over it? I also saw some responses that were using frog juice. I am using them from stock car graphics so they dont have to last for years.

-Mike

I use clear monomere vinyl on my monmere printable vinyl.

You only have to remember to use monomere on monomere and polymere on polymere due to different shrinkage.

So check if Sihl is monomere or not.

Other wise use advised laminate from Sihl.

Paco