dbtoutfit

Digital Printed Vinyl Graphics. (using home desktop printer)

pigmented ink and pigment Ink are differant Inks.... I use epson Ink only.....Its worth the price.....and you can cover cost in job price  Jim

Bigjimt, what is the difference between pigment inkt and pigmented ink?

Would you be so kind to clearify this?

Thanks, Paco

If my knowledge is correct there a several ways to produce a printout on selfadhesive vinyl.

Correct me if I am wrong or add the info.

1] Home desktop inkjet printer A4 or A3 but wider Office printer using water baased inks go upto A0 format.

Printers like Epson, HP, Lexmark, Brother.

They all use water based ink where some from the factory brands sold use DYE BASE ink and some use  PIGMENTED ink.

Water based Dye base ink is cheaper but lacks UV resistance.

Water based Pigmented ink is more expensive but has better UV resistance.

For all machines there are 3rd party brands (not the original) of ink available which have no guaranteed performance by the brand of the machine you use. So this is always try and error and MIGHT void your warranty.

The vinyl to be used for this type of printing is coated self adhesive vinyl.

The thin coating makes sure the waterbased ink (dye or pigmented) will settle into it so it will not smear when it has dried completely. If you take ordinary cutting vinyl and print on it the ink can not penetrate or adhere as the surface of the vinyl is not porouse.

Coated paper and laminates that can be used and is used by members of this forum with good results are.

Paper:

http://papilio.com/inkjet%20waterproof%20adhesive%20film%20media.html

http://www.mactac-europe.com/en/imaginvisual/pdf/jt1958p.pdf

To make sure a printout is more UV resistant and the surface mechanical protected, cover up the printout with a layer of UV resistant laminate or spray 2 or 3 layers of UV resistant coating.

Laminates fixed or sprays:

http://papilio.com/spray%20uv%20clear%20laminate%20clearjet%20aerosol.html

http://www.superfrog.com/sunscreen.html

http://www.mactac-europe.com/mactacdigital/overlaminating.html

2] Large format printers.

These printers are using SOLVENT ink which also will not work with ordinary cutter vinyl.

Large format printers using solvent, use a special kind of vinyl too but it is not coated.

The printing of a large format printer is as follows.

Before vinyl is fed to the spot where the ink is sprayed the vinyl is warmed up by a heater.

This opens up the upper surface of the vinyl.

Then the ink is sprayed and the vinyl is cooled down again.

So the solvent ink is more or less captured in the surface.

Then the solvent evaporate as it is used as a carrier for the color particals and only the color particals are left behind in the surface of the vinyl.

Depeding on the vinyl and ink used, there is no need to cover up for UV resistance.

Laminating will give better mechanical protection of the surface from scratching.

3] Ribbon printers.

These printers print a layer of wax and color on the surface of the vinyl.

The conversion of the color to the media is done by heat and pressure.

As far as I know all type of ordinary cutting vinyl can be used.

There is no need to cover up for UV resistance.

Laminating will give better mechanical protection of the surface from scratching.

I hope this all is correct and if not let me know and I will add it in this response.

Happy printing.

Paco

paco; can you tell us more about the "ribbon printer"?

bb

I cannot wait to try this,, i dont know if i can wait for the samples...I might just have to get some from somewhere,,..lol

This is all great stuff Maynard!  Since I got my cutter I wanted to print on the vinyl and till today, thought it was going to "cost me" but this thread is like mana......  Will be calling MacTac in the morning for some supplies.  Thanks everyone!  I can't wait either!!

Hi, If you find self adhesive vinyl medias samples that work fine with a regular desktop home inkjet printer then please specify where you find the stuff and please described the full product name with URL if possible.

This way we all can benefit.

I will try to summarize all details in one of my responses and if there is enough we can create a new item.

Paco

Actually I filled out 2 forms from harbor, they never called or phoned me.

In two weeks the packages were at my door.

I would try again?....maybe even use a friends address.

http://www.harborsales.net/averycontactus1.cfm

Ok while your in the mood for free vinyl go here too. They sent me a large roll of LG brand white 54 inches X 5 yards.

http://www.harborsales.net/lgcontactus.cfm

good Luck and Merry Christmas

Jack

I requested free samples and I recieved and email back from them.

"YOU HAVE REQUESTED SOME AVERY AND LG DIGITAL SAMPLES VIA E-MAIL.  WE ARE NOW CHARGING DUE TO THE ENORMOUS QUANTITIES REQUESTED.  IF YOU STILL REQUEST THEM, IF YOU WANT ONE SAMPLE IN SPECIFIC, OR IF YOU WANT TO KNOW INDIVIDUAL ROLL PRICING, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.  THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INQUIRY.  I APOLOGIZE ABOUT HAVING TO CHARGE YOU."

So much for being free. I sent an email back stating "Thanks but there are plenty of other suppliers available."

Avery IPM 2500, 2501 is removable, kinda like the Oracle 631. Both prints nice, but I'm using a 24 inch Epson printer. I tried some MacTac wall noodle, it is just for solvent printers. But, PhotoTex is da bomb, and they will send a small roll sample. I got some samples from HarborSales too, and then purchased a roll. Can't post any pictures right now, maybe later.

Guest fivestar

Actually I filled out 2 forms from harbor, they never called or phoned me.

In two weeks the packages were at my door.

I would try again?....maybe even use a friends address.

http://www.harborsales.net/averycontactus1.cfm

Ok while your in the mood for free vinyl go here too. They sent me a large roll of LG brand white 54 inches X 5 yards.

http://www.harborsales.net/lgcontactus.cfm

good Luck and Merry Christmas

Jack

I requested free samples and I recieved and email back from them.

"YOU HAVE REQUESTED SOME AVERY AND LG DIGITAL SAMPLES VIA E-MAIL.  WE ARE NOW CHARGING DUE TO THE ENORMOUS QUANTITIES REQUESTED.  IF YOU STILL REQUEST THEM, IF YOU WANT ONE SAMPLE IN SPECIFIC, OR IF YOU WANT TO KNOW INDIVIDUAL ROLL PRICING, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.  THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INQUIRY.  I APOLOGIZE ABOUT HAVING TO CHARGE YOU."

So much for being free. I sent an email back stating "Thanks but there are plenty of other suppliers available."

I got the same email from them.  I sent one back telling them to take the free sample off their website, then I told them to "$^&@ Off".

Yeah I just got an email from Harbor, requesting 114.00 bucks for "Free" samples, lol, I wrote them back, Sorry but I found a more reliable distributor with better products, Harbor is a joke  IMHO

I also got a bill from harbor for 87.99 for shipping,,

I could use the link to mactac,, thanks

Ok Primal, i did it,, is that considered, a sheet or roll, now i want to go see how much they charge,, in the right catagorie,

thanks

MMM

They will call to ask about your equipment, I told them I had a 36" HP Printer, They sent me a 36 inch x 15 yard roll of the vinyl, Another pal of mine only got some 8x10 samples, so when they call or email, be very nice on the phone , they give away some big samples, lol

Ok i will put on my nice face when they call, and i did get a email from them already saying they will contact me,,

did you cut the 36 inch down?

or do you have a printer that big?

MMM

cut it down to fit Epson r220 (8.5 width) this epson will print up to 44 inches in length, looking at getting a Epson 1400 this week so I can do 13 inch wide by 44 inch long decals, ask them what they carry for laminate as well they sent a nice roll of Razor 3 mill laminate (27 inch wide)

primal, what did you tell them you were using it for, outdoor signage?

cut it down to fit Epson r220 (8.5 width) this epson will print up to 44 inches in length, looking at getting a Epson 1400 this week so I can do 13 inch wide by 44 inch long decals, ask them what they carry for laminate as well they sent a nice roll of Razor 3 mill laminate (27 inch wide)

i just scored my second stylus photo 2200 on craigslist for, are you sitting down?...  $30. supposedly nothing wrong with it. will try it out later.

bb