dbtoutfit

Digital Printed Vinyl Graphics. (using home desktop printer)

Droplet size (ie 1.5-3.0 picoliter) has nothing to do with clogging the heads.

If the viscosity of the ink is to high (thick) it can cause clogging.

Dropletsize is just the accuracy in which a printhead is able to fire a drop from the head.

For a few years 6 picoliter was the smallest drop that could be fired! ;-)

But what is ink?

If you go to the supermarket and buy some yellow dye and a bottle of water and you mix it then you have ink too!!!!!

Yes there is no regulation or written rule what is ink or should be the contents.

Manufacturers design ink (ink contains more then just a fluid with some color) to match the print head and best quality.

Not the other way around that a gasoline car engine is designed to work on a specific fuel like 95 or 98 octane gasoline.

Thirdparty ink can have good and bad results!

So if you put pigmented third party ink through your machine you never know or can be certain what the outcome will be.

Most of this is try and error.

Paco

paco;

i have an epson stylus photo 2200 with a continuous ink system. i have been plagued with clogged nozzles and dripping ink. your post suggests it may be the viscosity of the ink. what ink would you recommend? and where might i get it? thanks

bb

BB,

I can not give you any advise on that, sorry.

The CIS unit can not be the problem except for the dripping.

I might that the containers are to high in level compared to the printhead and therefor putting more pressure is put on the ink system causing the dripping.

I know Brother ink jet and laser machines in and out but never have seen or used an Epson printer in person. (Not allowed in our office ;-)  )

Like I said, all is try and error when it comes down to using other brands ink.

I have seen machines coming in for repair where some inkpads were not soaked as they should but ink was build up as if it was thick and sticky like syrup. That is what we call high viscosity ink. But we mostly see no brand names on the third party ink cassettes used.

Maybe others have more experience with the Epson brand.

I do for a personal reason bring my files to be printed to a profesional print shop using solvent inks.

From what I have heard they also sometimes have clogged heads.

But we then speak about a 300 Euro per printhead only!!!

Cheers, Paco

standard China Cheap refill cartidge bought on ebay epson rx220 compatible, worked dandy :P

is that pigment ink?

Hi,

Following was printed on the previous described Ebay QP media coated NON CURL glossy inkjet vinyl I use for samples.

Printed with a color dye ink based machine the Brother DCP585.

Printer setting was BP61 paper and photo resolution  = 2400x1200 dpi.

Maybe these pictures are usefull for some people.

The design is for a former WC where I matched the colors to the body of the car.

No fancy photoshopping all vector based.

These samples are not laminated or cover sprayed with UV protective coating as they will be removed next week.

Enjoy, Paco

post-3682-12986529515282_thumb.jpg

post-3682-12986529515831_thumb.jpg

post-3682-12986529516184_thumb.jpg

post-3682-12986529516623_thumb.jpg

post-3682-12986529528831_thumb.jpg

post-3682-12986529529093_thumb.jpg

post-3682-12986529529335_thumb.jpg

post-3682-12986529529596_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Following was printed on the previous described Ebay QP media coated NON CURL glossy inkjet vinyl I use for samples.

Printed with a color dye ink based machine the Brother DCP585.

Printer setting was BP61 paper and photo resolution  = 2400x1200 dpi.

Maybe these pictures are usefull for some people.

The design is for a former WC where I matched the colors to the body of the car.

No fancy photoshopping all vector based.

These samples are not laminated or cover sprayed with UV protective coating as they will be removed next week.

Enjoy, Paco

CRD it is nice to have a printer tech on the forums. Welcome. We all appreciate the help you have been giving everyone.

ok where do i get printing vinyl,, and do they have such a thing for garments, ? as well as signs?

Hi Levy,

It is my pleasure if I can asssist on questions raised and will do my best to answer in a way people will understand even if they do not have any technical knowledge. I will use BROTHER printers often as reference as this is where I have the most knowledge from. ;D

If there are other eningeers from other brands then please join.

For the smearing of print heads liek BB mentioned.

I do not knwo if the follwowing is the case but it might apply in general.

Is saw people using CV (Coated Vinyl) that comes from a roll and is not flat but curled.

If you feed for example a A4 size sheet through the printer it might due to the fact it is not 100% flat touch the printer head when it moves from left to right!

For high speed high quality inkjet printouts most manufacturers are reducing the distance from the head to media as much as possible.

So if the media is not flat it touches the head.

Touching the printer head by the media can damage the "NON WET COAT" (microscopic thin) that is put around the printer head nozzle surfcae exits to assure the drop is released without splattering and in a vertical path to the media.

If this coating is damaged the head can not be repaired and need to be replaced.

Machines with fixed print head liek the Brother the head need to be replaced.

Machines with a printhead build into the cartridge need to be replaced.

BTW there is also Vinyl media available that cna run through a laser printer!!!! Yep

Now color laser printers are getting cheaper.

Less then 300$ this might for some become an option too.

With color laser prints there is no problem with UV resistance as the toner particals will not fade and are large then pigmented particasl from inkjet inks.

Regards and happy printing,

Paco

See no reason why not ;D

But make sure you print on coated inkjet vinyl as mentioned in responses before.

Standard vinyl will not work.

Paco

ok where do i get printing vinyl,, and do they have such a thing for garments, ? as well as signs?

How about a [glow=red,2,300]free sample[/glow] roll of printable vinyl for Eco-Solvent and UV-Curable Printers.

I imagine you could cut it to fit a desktop printer and if not just use it for white decals.

Get a free roll of Avery printable vinyl from Harbor Sales.

I got a roll of white vinyl 24 x 5 yards (MPI 1007)  and a roll of Overlaminate  but haven't had the time to test it out yet.

http://www.harborsales.net/averycontactus1.cfm

While your on that page fill out the complete form and end up with 4 or 5 free items.

Jack

I hope better luck with free samples from Harbor than I did. I filled out theie form and got a nice email from them stating that they would love to send me the samples requested, but I would need to pay for them.

Actually I filled out 2 forms from harbor, they never called or phoned me.

In two weeks the packages were at my door.

I would try again?....maybe even use a friends address.

http://www.harborsales.net/averycontactus1.cfm

Ok while your in the mood for free vinyl go here too. They sent me a large roll of LG brand white 54 inches X 5 yards.

http://www.harborsales.net/lgcontactus.cfm

good Luck and Merry Christmas

Jack

Ive used my Epson Rx600 on printable vinyl and its turned out some great results!

Good job on those!

Can I ask what is meant by "printable vinyl" I'm just getting into vinyl cutting and have an Epson R595 printer. Can this printer be of use to me in working with vinyl?Thanks for the help..Sandy

I have a Epson R1900, Great color.....and uses pigment ink....I print on inkjet vinyl I get from Fellers.....13 x 44 inch I have to get larger size and cut it....

after printing I use frog juice 2 coats the overlay with UV clear, and also frogjuice is a UV as well as a great edge seal