dbtoutfit

Digital Printed Vinyl Graphics. (using home desktop printer)

Do a search for "contour cutting" and you should find plenty of info on it. I have seen some Youtube vids on this forum before so search is your freind :thumbsup:

Bryan

Anyone know if the decals that you have printed would hold up in a industrial enviroment?  I have an opportunity to do industiral decals but they have to hold up to chemicals and oils.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Geo

dboutfit do you think we could get a listing of products that you used kinda like you did the printer. What brand/where did you buy the printable vinyl, the inks, etc..

By the way it looks great I have had a few people asking about stickers like that. Very Impressed great research!!

On a side note there is a guy in my area using LG printable vinyl but he's using a regular inkjet printer w/ regular ink. You know how a full color page looks if printed on draft mode looks (fine white lines in between printer strokes) all his stickers have these, not to mention after a few months of weather it should be interesting to see how fast they fade.

This looks Like a good way to get into digital bunper stickers ass well, even if your cutter dosn't have a contour feature cutting bumper stickers by hand ain't a big deal unless you gott 3 thousand to do, lol

reading your post,I have purchased 2 rx595 to use in making decals.

Could you tell me the kind of vinyl you used(any printable white vinyl would work

WORK ?) ALSO YOU TALK OF CLEAR? is this clear vinyl or lamination material?

I really appreciate you help

Darrell

Kearn

The original poster appears to be at least semi-inactive. Their last post was on October 24, 2008, 09:43:47 so I do not think you are going to be getting any further info from them.  :-

if anyone can give some insight to making this work (vinyls, inks, laminates, etc) it would be greatly appreciated.  I am looking at getting one of these and trying it.

thanks

I got ahold of Mactac and have a sample in route of this inkjet printable vinyl, I run a epson r220 photo printer, now, when the item comes in i will be experimenting with it and oracal clear laminates to see what we can come up with

Guest sciondrgn

I have only done a few of these  (none of which were outdoors) All have held up and still look good,

I have an Epson RX600 using the standard ink carts, I have that harbor sample of Avery Matte Banner Material that i just cut to fit my printer. As well as the clear over laminate.

Edit:

here is a pic of my Nintendo DS I did, This was done close to a year ago I would guess

post-0-12986529138035_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986529169117_thumb.jpg

I have recieved some media vinyl from a local supplier and plan to try it out tomorrow nite. I also have some laminate samples coming from a supplier from omaha next week.

i baught the Epson rx595, I also baught the ciss ink system with uv ink.

will post results after playing this weekened

Darrell

Will the rpinting only work on matt finish vinyl? The vinyl that I recieved was a gloss finish. The ciss ink system was a dye - UV base. When I tried to print ink never dried and smeared . Matte only way to go aND THEN LAMINATE IT?

thank you

Darrell

Are you using regular vinyl or vinyl that is designed to be printed on?

Hi for those interested.

I started doing decals the same way as described by the original poster at begin of this year.

For best results UV resistance inks on pigment bases are the best for longtivity.

Epson uses pigment inks in many of their machines called DURABRITE.

I am an engineer at BROTHER international in the Netherlands where my specialty is ink jet machines!  ;D

But our Brother machines print color with CYM dye ink. :-

Only black is pigment ink in our BROTHER machines.

For using these kind of pigment or dye inks you use in your small A4 or A3 SOHO machine you need special COATED vinyl.

Regular vinyl will not work as this will not be taken up by the vinyl so smear is the result.

I use for my standard projects matt vinyl from this ebay supplier.

QP Media

http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITE-A4-INKJET-SELF-ADHESIVE-STICKER-PAPER-VINYL-P-Q_W0QQitemZ140289038065QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Printer_Paper_Accessories_ET?hash=item140289038065&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

Is use the matt version and print it on the Brother MFC990 with following printer settings

Media: INKJET

Resolution: PHOTO

When printed I use polypropyleen laminate we use to cover the outside covers of books.

It is a soft laminate but other versions like the mentioned Pappilon versions look to be thicker and protect better.

The laminate makes the decal glossy so no need to buy glossy version if you are going to laminate afterwards.

Currently I have no cutter so all by scissor cut done.

I use these samples to see how they look like on the products I am designing decals for.

www.customracingdecal.com

The products they are used on are on a high stress base so need to be very though.

So therefor the final product is printed in a printshop on a large format ink jet printer using solvent base inks and then laminated.

These vinyl can be formed with a hairdryer in the shapes you like on corners and edges.

BTW the described white lines in printouts is what is called "banding" and can be seen quickly if you print in low resolution lets say 600x600 dpi.

If you use higher resolutions 2400x1200 DPI banding should not exist or you are having a bad quality printer or a defective printer head.

Use the highest possible resolution when printing.

Here a sample decal that needs to go around corners and edges.

1229372792_143_FT14131_img_0977_.jpg

If there is any question let me know.

Regards and happy home decaling,

Paco Raap

*snip*

Though I had to have a printer NOW! to completed the job, I meant to (and still plan) get a 1400 or R1900 Epson printer.  If you can do this I highly suggest you do so for the 13" wide prints.

Eric

G'day - I heard that the R1800 and R1900 series printers are very prone to getting the heads clogged up easily because of their small droplet size, which is why I was suggested to get a 1410 for dye sublimination printing.

Thoughts anyone?

Droplet size (ie 1.5-3.0 picoliter) has nothing to do with clogging the heads.

If the viscosity of the ink is to high (thick) it can cause clogging.

Dropletsize is just the accuracy in which a printhead is able to fire a drop from the head.

For a few years 6 picoliter was the smallest drop that could be fired! ;-)

But what is ink?

If you go to the supermarket and buy some yellow dye and a bottle of water and you mix it then you have ink too!!!!!

Yes there is no regulation or written rule what is ink or should be the contents.

Manufacturers design ink (ink contains more then just a fluid with some color) to match the print head and best quality.

Not the other way around that a gasoline car engine is designed to work on a specific fuel like 95 or 98 octane gasoline.

Thirdparty ink can have good and bad results!

So if you put pigmented third party ink through your machine you never know or can be certain what the outcome will be.

Most of this is try and error.

Paco

Okay, I received the samples from Mactac ( Jt1958p) and some samples of their 6300 metalic overlaminates, these are some of the decals and Items i made, they were printed on an epson rx220  using a DPI of 300  in the graphics, when I made them in photoshop, the decals will be applied to a few vehicles today to see how they hold up and the arrow wraps have already worked well in standard shooting conditions. I do like the way the product prints, I just cut the rolled vinyl down to fit my printer.

wraps.jpg

width=800 height=598http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc251/educated_rage/decals.jpg[/img]