dbtoutfit

Digital Printed Vinyl Graphics. (using home desktop printer)

I really needed to be able to make some very nice digital printed vinyl decals but I didn't need them so bad I was willing to spend 10g's on Wide format printer.

So here's the results.

The printable vinyl sheets where cut down to size for my printer, then the graphics where printed, then contour cut. After that I made another offset around the graphic for the clear vinyl contour cut. Then I weeded the printed graphics, laid clear over the whole printed graphic sheet and stuck it back in the machine to contour cut the clear vinyl as well. This way the front is protected and the edges are protected on the graphic.

Eric

post-2063-12986521009172_thumb.jpg

post-2063-12986521009557_thumb.jpg

post-2063-12986521010083_thumb.jpg

post-2063-12986521027283_thumb.jpg

post-2063-12986521027532_thumb.jpg

post-2063-12986521027775_thumb.jpg

Looks GREAT!!!

Now get ready for someone to ask for that design cause those skulls are awesome looking, lol.  :)

lol fire,

On this skull I used the Epson RX595.

rx595_216x144.jpg

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63069457

It's very important you dont just try this with a typical desktop printer. Do your research.

I could not find a printer/brand that could meet all the specs to print to vinyl. If it's not UV issues it's something else. The inks are the most important part and the DPI of Epson printers are above any out there.

If you want to do images to perfection I suggest Epson after all my 3 months of research.

This printer is only $99 and has a slew of things that make it work perfectly for vinyl printing.

This printer can also accept a CIS and print 8.5" x 44"! full bleed (edge to edge)

Though with this printer you can't print 10 foot long bill boards, you can print images that far surpass any wide format vinyl printer on the market for quality DPI prints.

Though I had to have a printer NOW! to completed the job, I meant to (and still plan) get a 1400 or R1900 Epson printer.  If you can do this I highly suggest you do so for the 13" wide prints.

Eric

• Like 3

One of the free samples from harbor sales is a printable vinyl if i remember right

MacTac sent me a HUGE sample roll of printable vinyl (JT1958P ).

Along with a few other things.

Eric

I've tried them a couple of times and haven't gotten anything

WOW!  Looks awesome!  How long will that last out in the sun?  I've also wanteds to do this for some time but I've never known where to start. 

The Price on the printer is more than reasonable, I think I'll have to start talking the wife into letting me get one. lol :)

Guest sciondrgn

Ive used my Epson Rx600 on printable vinyl and its turned out some great results!

Good job on those!

Thanks,

As far as how long they last...

Alot of decals are only guaranteed for 1 year in outdoor use BUT there are alot of variables that make it longer.  5-8 years is possible.  I am assuming from what all I could gather from researching this stuff that I should get 1-2 with the inks I used maybe 3 years. Once I go through my ink system I am using now I will be getting UV protective Inks with the CIS and assume at least 2-3 years or even more.

I have kept a close eye on the decal and it's in the Alabama Sun all day long, so-far no sign of fade, it's rained on and off since I have put them on and no sign of moister.

The clear over protective is important and is a must but where you'll find some people fail to do is the offset clear around the edges. That's the key to long life of the decal.

With the clear over it and the vinyl backing the ink really has no where to go since it is sealed and the material locks the color in so it cant bleed.

I will keep you posted should I catch something going wrong.

Eric

Guest rvgraphixs

the decals look great! so you used a ink jet printer? am I reading that right? if so then how do you get the uv ink for your printer?

The Inks included are great inks and will work BUT for over kill UV inks are great to have, say for a retail store with a sign that expossed to the sunlight coming in all day and you dont want to waste clear vinyl on the sign.

CIS come with UV inks just look at the one your buying to make sure it has the UV inks.

You'll need a CIS anyways if you plan to do more than just a couple of prints.

Eric

I've been looking into this myself, and I'm still unsure about what inks would be best to use.  When I research UV inks for the Epsons, they all seem to be the inks that are used for sublimation, but that can't be right if they're not going to be pressed, and would be for decals/banner applications, would it?  Does anyone have any info on what type of inks would be best?

Thanks!

Joy

Here's one I did a while ago using an HP L7580. It's printed on window cling and backed with some white vinyl I had laying around. Printed about 15 of these. The color is holding really well.

Peabody

That looks great!  So I guess people are just using their regular printer inks then?  And a clear coat/laminate afterwards?

I would guess he has a contour cutter such as the LP24. You just use the software to print and it adds the reg marks then you run it on the cutter and select cut a print and line up the marks......

Bryan