hobbymom

Importing Fonts into Inkscape?

I just bought a ton of fonts. Is there a way I can mport or use these fonts in Inkscape. If not, maybe there is another program that I am import these into that I can use with the cutter I still have not purchased?? If someone could please help me!!! :D

Thank you!

So, I answered my own question. I figured out how to add the font to Word and then I opened up Inkscape and the font appeared in the drop down box. Is there any type of font that the Copam will not be able to cut? Are there any limitations I need to worry about??

Most of the font files are in ttf format which stands for true type font.

You can install your font in the windows control panel by going in thru the fonts folder and installing them thru there, or copy and paste, or drag and drop of your new font files. 

This way, they will be avaliable in any of your programs, I think that you have already realized that tho.

As far as I know, any ttf file is cutable.  The limitations would be on how detailed your font it... Some fonts have lines that are really really closed togheter and probably wouldnt turn out very well on your cuts.

Thank you again! Yes, I had figured out how to import the fonts.

I just didn't know if there were any fonts that I "couldn't" use with the cutter. I think all the fonts I purchased are .ttfs. I am super excited to start playing with my cutter (once I WIN one! :D)

A tip for you...don't rush to install ever single font. If your fonts didn't come with one,geta  font viewer,and install as you need. 2 reasons for this....the more fonts you have,the longer Inkscapen takes to load. Also, when I was in the computer biz, I headr that there is a limit to how many fonts Windows can handle,but was never able to get a straight answer from Microsoft. I will repeat my earlier offer here:

I have a dvd with 50,000 fonts on it. I'm not interested in selling it, but anyone who wants a copy,can email me,I will make  a copy for anyone who sends me a blank DVD and a self addressed,postage paid mailer. Also,if you need a particular font,just ask me. If I have it,I will be happy to email it to you. I have a nice collection of dingbat fonts,which save a LOT of time because you don't have to vectorize the images.

I just checked my font folder, and i currently have installed 2179 fonts on my pc...

My inkscape only takes about 5 seconds to load, and flexi takes about 7 seconds to load...

Im sure that this is all based on computer configuration of course as I am running 2 gigs of ram with a AMD Sempron Processor (love those amd's)

I passed 2000 a long time ago, and my flexi takes about 40 seconds to load. I have an AMD too,on the main PC, Pentium on others...but you have me beat on RAM and I think that's the key here. I'll get around to bumping mine up one of these days.. unless I just get a new computer altogether.This one will be a year old in June. Or I might just build one...who knows.

But for the average computer user,my advice still stands. Not everyone has 2 gigs of Ram.Not everone has a fast CPU. And every program you have open eats at the memory.

By the way tater, I've had to replace a lot of AMD's when I was in the computer repair biz,because of heat issues.They run hot. And a lot of manufacturers scimp on the fans and don't allow for enough air flow. Personally,I keep the sides off of mine,and have never had a heat issue.yet. And before you say it, I have a vacuum cleaner the size of a toothpaste tube and I keep everything inside nice and clean.

Guest fivestar

he he he....I'm running an AMD 3800+ Dual Core with 2 GIG Ram running Windows Vista and my flexi takes 4 seconds to load and I've got 2055 fonts installed.  I custom built my system.  Yes Bannerjohn you are correct, for the average user too many fonts will make a system crawl when they open up a program that loads those fonts.  I "think" Microsoft recommends less then 500 fonts, I am thinking I read that somewhere a while back, but of course that could of changed by now.

A tip for you...don't rush to install ever single font. If your fonts didn't come with one,geta  font viewer,and install as you need. 2 reasons for this....the more fonts you have,the longer Inkscapen takes to load. Also, when I was in the computer biz, I headr that there is a limit to how many fonts Windows can handle,but was never able to get a straight answer from Microsoft. I will repeat my earlier offer here:

I have a dvd with 50,000 fonts on it. I'm not interested in selling it, but anyone who wants a copy,can email me,I will make  a copy for anyone who sends me a blank DVD and a self addressed,postage paid mailer. Also,if you need a particular font,just ask me. If I have it,I will be happy to email it to you. I have a nice collection of dingbat fonts,which save a LOT of time because you don't have to vectorize the images.

Thanks Banner John! I didn't install all of them. In fact, I am going to do just that and burn them onto a CD and just add them when I need them. I wasn't bright enough to install the font organizer, but I emailed the company that I purchased them from and I am waiting to hear back. I would love the 50,000 fonts you have. I am really into fonts. I just love them. Let me know where to send the blank CD and addressed stamped envelope and I will get that to you! I need to go to the post office anyways! Thank you for all of your help! I want to say in the help files it says that Microsoft can only hold like 3 or 4K fonts?? So, I just tried to add one and then I will add as needed!

Thanks!

500 fonts was pretty much the limit in 95,98,and ME but 2k and XP has no limit. But here's the catch...you can load as many fonts into the font folder as you wish,but after a certain point,some will become unusable. And it has nothing to do with the size of the font,but more the size of the font NAME. It has something to do with the font entry in the registry. The time it takes Windows to read the entry,etc. I've had it explained to me but details are not my forte.

Fivestar...you have more nerve than i do,running Vista. I will go Linux before I ever install Vista. And it's not because of all the driver/compatabilty/hardware issues that everyone squaks about...it's the built-in anti-piracy that gives Microsoft the ability to A:) virtually stop you from copying ANY coprwrited material(including burning DVD's) B:) disable hardware that is capable of doing this(if your video card,for instance,has a video-in jack). I could go on and on.

Not that I (or anyone here) would try and copy or download anything illegal, but I would like to make that decision myself,not Microsoft and the MPPA and recording industry.

This is why DELL has started (this week) to offer XP on new systems instead of Vista. So many complaints.

I agree on vista.I also agree on microsoft.I had three hotmail accounts since 1993 and after I found out earlier this year that they put tracking cookies in the accounts so they could direct advertisers promos to what ever you were browsing for,I stopped using hotamil and blocked any cookies at all from microsoft.A little too much big brother for me!