TTPAshburn

Got my very first sign job gotta few questions!

So I got an order for 4 18x24 one sided corroplast signs.  The only thing I have really done with my machine is cut some lettering and some stock logos from signblazer.  I have weeded the images and tried to transfer them to something without much sucess, I bought some transfer tape from UScutter when I ordered the machine and it always tears off wrong and only pulls up one or two letters.  I think I might need some better transfer tape and also a good squeege.  Just wondering what is the best supplies to get started with since I dont know how to go about getting started with these signs, any videos or some suggestions I would appreciate it.  Thanks

you need to use a squeegie to FIRMLY apply the transfer tape to the lettering. Several passes. Turn the paper over and peel the paper from the lettering,NOT the lettering from the paper.

If you go here:

http://www.youtube.com/RapidTac

there is a nice video on doing coroplast.and several others that bear watching.

Guest fivestar

I prefer perfectear brand transfer tape, but r-tape is what most people use.

I prefer perfectear brand transfer tape, but r-tape is what most people use.

I like the sound of perfectear brand haha, everytime I try and pull off a piece of tape it just splits in half, it just never seems to tear off as one whole sheet.  Its so hard to pull off one full lenght roll of tape.

You can get cheap cd-roms off Ebay giving good instructions on transferring vinyl and other  tricks.

Practice before you stick it to the signboard because it's cheaper and you want your first signs to look good.Like John said probably not enough pressure on the transfer tape and trying to pull off the vinyl with the tape.

sounds like you need more pressure when masking/applying... your letters shouldnt come up... also, i find pulling off the transfer tape on a sharp angle helps quite a bit too...

Just a idea for you I am not saying its the best technique but I use a metal plaster trial you know the big 8 inch wide scraper , I dont know the exact name but I hope you get the idea Its a pretty nice tool for getting the entire cut in one shot wasnt meant for it but sure works good for me . The only problem I usualy have is getting the vinyl off the transfer paper if I do wet app , just a little more time but perfect job no bubbles and very forgiving with placement .

First thing, get a good vinyl application squeegee.  Then peel the backing from the decal.  After you apply it to the sign squeegee it real good then wet the transfer tape and let it soak for a couple of minutes.  It should then come off a lot eaiser.

I ordered some new transfer tape from signwarehouse that is absolutely awesome.  It works a million times better than the other trasnfer tape.  My next issue is what kind of tricks do you all have for making sure the lettering goes onto the sign straight?  All the customer needed was "Event Parking" on the top of the sign and me and my brother just kind of eyed it when we stuck it on the coroplast.  It doesnt look bad but if you really look closely its crooked.  Any suggestions on how to make the lettering straight?  Thanks for all the great answers!

Get a tape measure.

Just measure side to side to center it.  Measure from the top on both sides to make sure it's level.