this may be a silly question,and maybe i'm overlooking something,but why are there two locations for the blade holder and whats the difference.thanks

On the refine, Rear most position is for the blade holder, and the front most position is for the pen attachement, however, you can use the pen in either position.

thanks tater i've been using the wrong one,ive been using the outside one.that may explain why i've had problems getting my blade set just right.  oh and by the way i did the 3 color race car # last night using your directions and it came out beutiful.thanks again stan

From what I understand, the back position is used for either the pen attachment or the blade attachment when you are not cutting all the way through your material. The front position is for the blade attachment when you are cutting all the way through your material, which is why the cutting strip is felt-like. The back position cutting strip is plastic, and you do not want the blade cutting in to the plastic. You can also use the pen attachment in the front position.

Hope this helps,

Ken