HadEnough

What should I do???

Hello everybody...

My name pretty much sums up my emotions at this point.  :(

I've ran out of options in my current situation so I'm hoping that somebody in the community

can offer some rational advice.  I say "rational" only because many have suggested otherwise.

Read my story and you'll understand why...

Shortly after New Year's 07 a friend and I decide to start a new business together - a graphics company,

revolving mainly around vinyl graphics and signs.

We do a bit of research and find on EBay what we believe to be a great bargain.

A USCutter Refine MH1351 50" cutter for $600US. Nice!

We place our order around Jan12 and receive the cutter Jan21. (Not bad considering the travel from Seattle to Toronto)

You can imagine our excitement as we begin to tear down the big box - "This baby is gonna make us some money!"

Everything looks great, shiny and brand new. We assemble the cutter with ease...

Plug it in...

Turn it on....

hmm... :-

Nothing from the blade ? just the sound of the fans underneath the machine.

The LCD display is lit but also shows nothing.

We hit the rest button ? nothing?

?Strange?, we both think, since we both have more than a fair share of plotter/cutter experience between the two of us.

Perhaps we need to connect it to the computer to get a response?

We plug it into our Mac  - install the necessary software etc?

Turn the cutter on again ? Nothing?

?Hmmm? Okay, plug it into the PC.? ? After software/driver installation ? Nothing?

We notify USCutter/Selltopia and they say it sounds like the motherboard is fried.

?Brand new machine ? fried????Okay, so can you ship us a mother board please??

?Yes..But only after we?ve received the one you have.?

?Huh?? :D

?Oh, and you?ll have to pay for shipping costs as well.?

?SIGH? Ok??

Couple weeks go by and we finally get a new motherboard.

Crossing our fingers we install the motherboard.

Turn it on? ?Bzzzzt?bzzt..bzzzt?  :D

Nice! It seems to work! We plug it back into the PC?

Open up our tools Illustrator and FlexiSign.

Finally we are on our way to getting some work done.

Keep in mind we had a few clients backed up because of the situation.

First job ? detailed wall size graphic for an interior designer. Complete and customer happy. ;D

Second job ? sample cuts for a HUGE client, shown in a proposal.

IN the middle of preparing the samples ? the LCD display gets scrambled

Right after that the blade stops responding. We're forced to outsource our samples.

...Back to the beginning again? :'(

Same deal. "Send us the old motherboard ? we?ll send you a new one."

No real solution or technical help is offered.  They?re playing darts blindfolded. 

They even suggest that it may be a power supply issue so we should purchase one of those as well.

I chuckle ? the only response I have to making numerous unnecessary purchases on a BRAND NEW MACHINE.

Their next suggestion is to purchase a warranty plan ? so we don?t have to keep paying for parts.

It was almost as if they expected this to happen again.  However, with our hands tied behind our back, we humbly agree...

Express Air is what we paid?

1st week?

2nd week?

3rd week? :D

First week of April?Mother board and power supply arrive ? International Ground? wth?

We already know how to install the motherboard, the power supply however was a little more difficult.

The connections on the new PS didn?t match those on the old PS.

It was similar, so I applied a bit of puzzle solving and managed to connect the wires correctly.

Geez? After the amount of work we put into the machine we?re almost ready to build these things from scratch.. 

We connect the cutter back to the PC and turn it on.

Scrambled LCD display again ? but this time the blade is responding.

The four arrows on the control pad seem to be working as well.

Lucky for us ? we manage to get some work done using the software alone.

We call USCutter/Selltopia again and guess what they said?

?We?ll send you a new motherboard and LCD display.? 

Now I?m not man of profanity but WTF!

I just keep thanking God that we can workaround the problem.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 the LCD and motherboard arrive.

I install the new LCD display and turn on the cutter ? SAME THING?.arrrgghh?

Okay ? it HAS to be the motherboard ? I unwrap the packaging.. Guess what kids?

WRONG MOTHERBOARD?.

So my partner finally gets a hold of the owner Marcus, I believe and he says that all he can do is?

?SEND US A NEW MOTHERBOARD!?

We want a new cutter which he says he can provide only when the cutter we have is in his hands.

No service, no empathy, no remorse ? his code of ethics.

I should also mention that we put our trust into his company when we wire transferred the money directly to his account.

(since we weren?t registered with PayPal to make purchases over $500)

Where is his trust in us after all that we?ve been through?

We need this cutter here since it can do the job in the meantime, so sending it back first is not an option. 

There probably isn?t much anybody can say ? but at least I feel a little better by sharing this with you all.

Mark

;D

I must say that I have had enough as well.This is a forum to help people with their cutters and to share the things they produce.And everytime I see someone who feels he has to post a problem that has to do with the company and not actual technical help,I ten to just past the post because I feel those people are not a waste of my time which to me is very valuable.The 3 stores I have and the websites I run pretty much run the same way.You have a bad part and want a replacement,no problem,but not until I get the part you need replaced.And like every damn company I offer NO refunds on shipping.I don't make money off shipping,I give it to the shipper and no other company makes money on shipping so why you think that is wrong I will never understand.And I can understand Marcus not wanting to send you a new cutter.When I see someone having multiple bad motherboards,that tells me that something is wrong on their end and not actually the motherboard.But I would not have offered you a warranty either because I would think you would just keep getting bad motherboards.If I were Marcus,I would send a tech to your shop to find out why all your motherboards go bad and charge you a service fee plus per diem for the time the tech has to spend there.

I slightly disagree Billy... This gentleman is frustrated... Like he stated, He mine as well build it himself with all the new parts he has installed...  Things do happen... It is probably just bad lucky, Weather you are buying a kia or a mercedes, things go wrong...

I can see Marcusos point as well, He is running a business, and normall businesses wont ship out free parts without the one in hand... Especially a new cutter... 

I think that this gentleman is frustrated and would like to vent to let others know about his experiences. I dont see the harm in that...  People post things other then what they do with there machine, or not needing help... Thats what I feel that messages boards is all about...

It is unfortunate what this guy is going thru... I think that he just wanted a bit of empathy...  There is no harm in that.

US Cutter is doing what they can to help this poor guy, Replacement parts and what not...  Business wise, US Cutter is doing good, supporting there products and what not.

HadEnough- I do empathize with you, I understand your frustrations...  US Cutter is doing what they can for you...  You have to understand tho that they are not going to send you a replacement machine on a whim... They may not ever see the other machine again... I only trust my mother!

Good Luck

I must say that I have had enough as well.This is a forum to help people with their cutters and to share the things they produce.And everytime I see someone who feels he has to post a problem that has to do with the company and not actual technical help,I ten to just past the post because I feel those people are not a waste of my time which to me is very valuable.The 3 stores I have and the websites I run pretty much run the same way.You have a bad part and want a replacement,no problem,but not until I get the part you need replaced.And like every damn company I offer NO refunds on shipping.I don't make money off shipping,I give it to the shipper and no other company makes money on shipping so why you think that is wrong I will never understand.And I can understand Marcus not wanting to send you a new cutter.When I see someone having multiple bad motherboards,that tells me that something is wrong on their end and not actually the motherboard.But I would not have offered you a warranty either because I would think you would just keep getting bad motherboards.If I were Marcus,I would send a tech to your shop to find out why all your motherboards go bad and charge you a service fee plus per diem for the time the tech has to spend there.

So you are suggesting that my company run a USCutter test shop that WE have to pay for as well?

We've replaced not only the motherboard but the LCD display and the power supply as well.

You say you don't waste time but just wasted it with that reply.

No offence - but I'm looking for REAL solutions.

Tater - thanks man...

You have to understand tho that they are not going to send you a replacement machine on a whim... They may not ever see the other machine again... I only trust my mother!

Good Luck

You're right Tater - I hope we can work something out, like a deposit instead of sending the cutter we have back.

Guest fivestar

That is a very unfortunate situation and unfortunately it is part of business, not everything is going to work perfect in the real world.  I would say that the plotter is going to be nothing but troubles and you and US Cutter need to figure out a way of getting you another machine.  A deposit is actually a real good idea and I really hope this gets worked out for both you and US Cutter.

Here is the deal:

Up until today, we have been nothing but nice to this person.  In addition, he has been leaving out a number of details.

To make a long story short, we have sent out a bunch of new parts.  I am guessing that the original mainboard went bad in shipping.  As the customer mentions, they didn't seem to understand how to hook up the power supply (and probably fried some of the parts in the process).  The vinyl cutter was bought on eBay, so it only had a one month warranty, yet I agreed to keep on replacing parts under warranty.  At no time (until now) did we insinuate that it was his fault for hooking it up incorrectly, we just kept on dealing with the customer in a professional, reliable manner.

As of about a week ago, my technician, Ken, started getting calls from Adam and Adam's mother making demands that they talk to me.  I asked Ken what had happened, and he said that he had offered to replace parts once we received them or to send them out immediately if a deposit was placed (as per our standard policy for warranty covered parts).  He also told me that he had been yelled at by the customer and had remained calm and nice the whole time (Ken is good at that).  So, I called the mother and listened, and explained that this was an unusual circumstance, and I would take care of it right away.  I told her that it was only a one month warranty and asked if it was within warranty.  I even told her that I would send it out without a deposit if she promised to send the defective (or unused) parts back - I also agreed to pay for International priority shipping.  I went and boxed up a new mainboard and LCD (just in case it was the LCD) and sent it out immediately.  Unfortunately, I am not the one that handles these situations (Ken is), and since they chose not to talk to Ken anymore, he didn't handle it, so I sent out the wrong motherboard.

Ken talks to me today, and tells me that he has been getting calls from Adam and his mom again because I sent the wrong motherboard.  Adam had said that the machine worked except the LCD was blank (would be resolved with correct mainboard), but he still wanted a new machine.  Ken said that he offered to send out a whole new machine, but he needed the old unit or a deposit first.  He said that the mom agreed to that, but then he got a call from Adam who started yelling at him, and insisted that he talked to me.  At this point, I am frustrated, because Ken is doing his job correctly and having to deal with two people instead of just one, and I am not inclined to be nice to customers who yell at my employees.

So Adam got on the phone with me and started venting his complaints to me (in a very rude manner), and I asked him what we could do to resolve the issue.  He told me that it was my responsibility to send him a new vinyl cutter, and he wasn't going to send the old one back first because he still needed it to complete work.  I told him that if he wanted us to replace the unit, he would have to either put down a deposit or send the old one back (keep in mind that he wants us to send out a $950 vinyl cutter plus the $100+ in parts that we had already sent without receiving any payment).  He insisted that this was not fair and started threating us by going to eBay and with legal action.

After he started threatening me, I told him that if he was going to continue threatening me, I would no longer help him.  I don't expect that he or his mother will send back the parts that they promised, so I am no longer going to help them and I have instructed Ken to do the same.  I don't want to waist our time any further.  I will allow Ken to post a reply to this, and if the original poster (Mark or Adam?) does want to continue posting here, I will allow them as long as they keep it in this thread.  If they start posting outside of this thread, I will block their account.

Well Marcuso... Sounds like that you went out of your way with this person...  Sounds like everything is on the up and up...

I understand that adam is frustrated... but i guess yelling doesnt get you anywhere...

I suppose it goes back to the old saying, you give them an inch and they expect a mile.

To clarify - this is Mark, the poster of this topic, not Adam.

I don't think it went that far Marcus...

You also seem to neglect everything I said to you in my PM.

I was polite and kind, even in this thread I mention the idea of giving you a deposit.

Like I said, all we want is a little empathy and a real solution.

For instance, how about arranging a call to guide us through the process of correctly installing the parts?

If what you say about the power supply is correct, then you should have at least directed us to where we can

get technical help with the installation.

My friend Adam, may be at the end of his rope, but I am just trying to resolve this peacefully.

Please consider one of my suggestions Marcus, I'll even pay for the long distance call if I have to.

Thank You,

Mark

:(

ps - Marcus don't be mean... Remember my pm? I never blamed you, I blamed chance and bad luck.

Everyone should know, we PAID for extended warranty so you are still obligated to send us parts when necessary.

Also, assuming that we will not send back the damaged parts is wrong. We've complied every other time, why not now? No use in keeping something that doesn't work. :D

I had a similar issue with my cutter when I got it. BUT, since I know that the mother ----board could fry, I placed an order for two boards instead of sending it back and waiting. I got them in a couple of days. I have since sent back the bad one and got credit and haven't had any issues since. The price of a spare board is not much and I don't worry about down time.

Being from an industrial situation prior to this, I know the value of spares.

If I had a a backlog of work, knowing what the markup on this product is, i'd have a spare machine.

My first sign job paid for the machine.........

I have offered to help Mark walk through replacing the parts once they are received. I can only do what is laid out in our company guidelines and policies, which are in place for a reason. I am always here to help our customers in any way possible, without stepping beyond my boundaries.

I am confident that we will get their cutter working as it should, whether we send the parts to replace, or it is sent to me for service.

Ken

Thanks for the call Ken.

And even more thanks for figuring out what seems to be the definite problem.

We'll wait for the parts and I'll update you then.

:D

I had received another cutter in today for service with the same issue. After replacing a motherboard, it continued to have the exact same issue.  :g: Not wanting to replace another MB, or even the power supply (it was getting power after all), I decided to check the cable running from the MB to the LCD display.  :idea: Sure enough, there was a small slice in the cable caused by the "cable holder" that holds the cable against the metal frame. I replaced the cable and the cutter was as good as new.   :fool:

I decided to call Mark right away. I walked him through opening the case and the top of the cutter. I asked him to check the cable very carefully, looking for any part that may be sliced/ cut. Indeed, their cable had a small slice in it as well. We are shipping them the replacement cable right away. No matter how many MB's, or power supply's, or LCD's we sent them......they would have still had the same issue. I think we finally figured it out.    :punk:

:D

Ken

Good Call Ken...

Seems that fit right in there after replacing Marcel with the excellent customer service and high attention to detail

Well Ken - I just installed the new cable and everything seems to be working now.

It was a blessing in disguise that you received a cutter for repair with the exact same problem as ours.

Thanks for your help Ken.

Mark

A blessing indeed.

I am glad to hear we finally got you in working order.

Happy cutting!!