hobbymom

New to Forums New to Vinyl Cutters

Hello!

I am pretty new to forums and I am new to vinyl cutters. I know that my husband is on several forums and they always flame the "newbies." However, I have several questions that I would like people with some experience to answer if possible.

Okay, I am planning on buying a vinyl cutter ASAP. I have been trying to do as much research as possible on this subject so that I can make an educated decision before I buy. I have also looked at several of the discussion boards on this site and they have been very helpful! So, if I missed someone that is in a similar situation as me and has asked the same question, I apologize.

Here is what I would like to do with my vinyl cutter: make home decor signs on wood and applied directly to the walls (just like Articulate Walls), vinyl stickers for cars (such as logos, people's children's names and the sports they play,etc.) and maybe other craft things like putting vinyl quotes on tiles and displaying them in the home. Basically, I have a ton of ideas and I was going to spend a ton of money from another company! I got the bright idea that I could buy a machine and make this myself. I have told several friends and family members and other people have taken an interest in purchasing these from me too. So, I don't want to do this as a profession (I am a full time Mom and a few hour a week massage therapist). I just want to be able to cut out vinyl lettering or images whenever I have time or want to.

Can you please help me get started? I have been looking at a few cutters/plotters. The ones I have been looking at are the Master Vinyl Cutter XY Pro and the Copam CP-2500 24" Vinyl Sign Cutter/Plotter w/Stand (listed on eBay). For the purpose of what I want to do with the vinyl, are those good machines for the price? I have noticed there are tons of machines and they very so much in price. I don't want to break the bank on my hobby here, but I want a quality machine. Are there other machines that would better fit my needs?

Also, I think I want to buy vinyl with a matte finish, transfer tape, and what else do I need to get started?? I have looked at the topics on where to get some of these supplies. Oh, is there a software program that I should get? I have heard of FlexiPro and of SignCut that comes with the cutter on eBay.

Basically, I am looking for some nice person to push me in the right direction! If anyone wouldn't mind taking the time to help, that would be great!

Thank you in advance,

Jessica  :D

Gee, was my first post that long??? :D

jk.)

Well, seems like your one of us. Few months ago i wondered how they make those signs/decals/banners, now its almost full time job. From what it sounds, compam-2500 will be more then enought for you. Its a great machine for the money you pay. Some ppl have trouble setting up the thing when they get it, but if you read direction correctly, and use some basic sense + all this info on forum, youll be good. Plotter/cutter comes with basic design software InkSkape and SignCut (this is program to cut your image) . As for designs/pre-made illustration vector packs, if your not into drawing, doing photoshop , i recommend you to get some of those cd. Or you cad do all text, and all your art work in that freebie software InkSkape.

personally i use Illustrator.

There is tons of different  vinyl, from cheap stuff to some 24k gold kind. For start i buy few roll of some cheaper stuff, just to get some practice. Also draw paper, squeegees, ruler, knifes, blades, pencil, tape, revert brush, level..This is basic stuff , and they sell all this in your sign supply store, just google it,  there is few in my town..they are huge warehouses.

over all, i buy it ! its worth it. At first you might suffer with problems, but when you figure all out you be happy as me!

Hope this helped

Thank you for the help! I really appreciate it! Sorry, my post was long  :D! I guess I should keep them shorter!

Here are some more specific questions:

1. Can I use any size vinyl in the Copam cutter up to the size of the machine? If I get a 24", can I use the 15", etc.

2. What brand  is the best kind of transfer tape for what I want to do?

3. With SignCut, can you design in it?

Mostly, I am just going to do text, so I want a lot of font choices to use. I have PhotoShop and I might have a copy of Illistarot, but I wil have to check. I have a mother-in-law that is a graphic designer, so with her help, I taught myself Photoshop.

4. Is there a brand of vinyl that is a "cheap" brand?

I am going to search for a local sign supply shop too. Maybe they can help lead me. Now, I must buy the machine!  ;D

Thanks again!

-Newbie!

1. Can I use any size vinyl in the Copam cutter up to the size of the machine? If I get a 24", can I use the 15", etc.

2. What brand  is the best kind of transfer tape for what I want to do?

3. With SignCut, can you design in it?

Mostly, I am just going to do text, so I want a lot of font choices to use. I have PhotoShop and I might have a copy of Illistarot, but I wil have to check. I have a mother-in-law that is a graphic designer, so with her help, I taught myself Photoshop.

4. Is there a brand of vinyl that is a "cheap" brand?

I am going to search for a local sign supply shop too. Maybe they can help lead me. Now, I must buy the machine!  :D

Thanks again!

-Newbie!

!

1. yes correct, any roll up to >24"< wide .

2. i go with clear tranfer tape for start, There is few brands, and go with meddium tack..And would get 24" roll cause most of your work will be up to 24". Also in the future get just simple tape, cause if you want to do wet applications, clear wont work for that..

3. No, Sign cut made for just cutting. You can change size and make weed frame if your using PE mode. I think its possible to do your designs in photoshop, its just illustrator or corel is easier for that kind of work. As long you save your work as .esp and make paths, your good.

4. I dont know exactly that brand, but i ment cheap vinyl is vinyl up 2 year war. or the cheap stuff you buy on ebay. If you go to your sign supply store/warehouse, they can give you few samples, credits to what is good/ expencive and what is cheap/cheap stuff.

There is one ending today, hurry!

I think that the refine model plotter is more of an entry level plotter... The copam is also a great machine...  But most people that are using the copam are using for more full time business... IMHO.

Also, I dont believe that photoshop supports vector based output, Not too sure tho... I think that photoshop is just a raster image program... Someone else agree???

And also, Ive read some posts on the copam, dont you have to trick the machine into cutting 15 inch vinyl???  Not too sure, just thought that i read something on that...

As far as the Master compared the the refine, Refine model is much better ( i have a master also, LOL)  Its a bit quieter and built better.  I dont own a copam, so I really cant compare it to the master

hi,just my 2 cents worth here.ifr you decide to go with the master or any other brand for that matter.do they have a great forum like this one to help you get up and running.i myself just recently bought a us cutter and also own another brand machine.i am thinking of buying another 24" machine and it will be a copam.no matter what you decide good luck with your new hobby.once you are up and running it will be hard to tear yourself away from it.cheers stan

The copam is a whole different animal compared to the mh721.It's quieter,built better and it has a much better feed with the fine spline rollers.It does take some getting use to though.The measurement seems to be the problem most have had.But when I turn mine on and hit the scroll button,I don't have any material in the cutter.I place one pinch roller all the way to the left and the other all the way to the right.That gives me the freedom to change to what ever size vinyl I need from one job to the next.I have ran plots on the copam with map colors and dollar store crayons.It just seems to be able to do more than the 721.And speed wise,it's faster than the 721.I don't think I have ran mine wide open since I have had it.But I do a lot of fine detail work and that kind of work is not made for speed.Jm2c.

The measurement seems to be the problem most have had.But when I turn mine on and hit the scroll button,I don't have any material in the cutter.I place one pinch roller all the way to the left and the other all the way to the right.That gives me the freedom to change to what ever size vinyl I need from one job to the next.

+1. I do same thing, and have no problem with measurments at all.