MarcelC

Read this first: Plotter Setup Instructions

US Cutter Refine Plotter Quick Install Instructions

Signcut and most other vinyl / tint cutting software interfaces with the vinyl cutter directly without installing Windows drivers. The exception is if you choose to use the USB cable in which case you will need to install the USB>Serial conversion driver (instructions below), but this is for the type of connection and not the plotter itself. The plotter drivers are already included and need to be configured in the cutting software. In Signcut click on ?settings? and then ?cutter?. In the cutter setup you should select "Refine" as the manufacturer, ?Refine MH/EH 721? as the Cutter for the 721 and 365 models (MH/EH 1351 for the 1351), and then select the correct Port you are connected to under ?Device?.  It is recommended that you use parallel port as described below.  In other software programs such as Flexi the Roland PNC 1000 driver will work. Each time you change the settings after an unsuccessful cut, you may need to reboot the computer and plotter to clear the buffer. 

Parallel Port (25 pin cable at both ends)

In most cases the parallel port will work by simply connecting the parallel cable (25 pin on each end) and setting up the Signcut software to plot through the LTP1 port. Be sure you are using the cable that came with the plotter and not an extended cable. If you do have problems you can try the following steps.

1. Verify all cables are connected properly and try rebooting the computer and/or plotter.

2. Uninstall or disable all printer drivers that might be using LPT1 (Windows: Start -> Printers and Faxes <RIGHT MOUSE CLICK> ?Delete?)  You will not actually see the plotter installed as a device here but since it uses a driver through the cutting software any other installed parallel drivers could interfere with the plotter.

3. No other devices or switchboxes should be connected or daisy chained to the parallel port.

4. Change your parallel port mode to ECP if it is not already. This is done in your computer setup (BIOS) and is it recommended that only advanced users adjust this setting.

5. If you are not getting communication through the LPT1 port with the appropriate model selected, try selecting Refine 1 or Refine 2 as the cutter instead of the actual model you are using.

Serial port (9 pin cable at both ends)

For Serial simply connect the serial cable to the PC and set the device in the Signcut software to COM 1, and if that does not work try COM 2 if have one.

USB

If USB port installation is necessary, you will need to install the USB to serial converter drivers.

1. Do not plug in any cables yet.  Download and install the USB to serial adapter driver from https://support.uscutter.com/hc/en-us.  Reboot.

2. Plug the USB to serial adapter into the computer's USB port (the hardware wizard should automatically detect the device using the previously installed drivers)

3. Go to Windows Start -> Control Panel (classic view) -> System -> Device Manager.  Double Click 'Ports'. Note the COM port under "USB Serial Port".  Close all dialogs.

4. Now in Signcut click on 'Settings' -> 'Cutter', select:

Manufacturer: Refine

Cutter: Refine MH/EH 721

Device: Select the COM port noted in step 3.

Baud: 4800 (if you don't want to change on the cutter, you can try this at 9600, but if you have problems, set to 4800)

'Ok.'

5. If you are unable to establish communications on the default com port number that was assigned to the USB Serial adapter then you can try a different port assignment. In the windows device manager double click on the USB Serial adapter under "ports" Go to the port settings tab and click advanced. Change the port number and then change it in Signcut to match. You may need to reboot after making changes.

Updated 3/13/2007 by Marcus

The com3 port is missing in the in the signcuts device manager when i tried to setup my mh1351. Even my HP printer sopped and icant print anything. I tried to reinstall my driver, but it didnt help (i did that yesterday too and then it works!!) What i have to do now? Theres no com1/com2 ports in The signcut device manager.

I believe Signcut will detect open/available com ports so if for some reason that com port is locked up or in use by another device or program it probably will not show up as an option in Signcut. In this case I would suggest trying to configure the USB>Serial driver and Signcut on Com 1 or 2, 4 may also work.

The best way to test is to just type out a test word or letter and try to cut it, or you can use the pen adapter to draw it if you don't want to waste vinyl. Alternately if you are having problems I'd suggest trying to install on another computer or try using a different port on your computer. You can always email me directly too if you want to walk through the setup.

Correct me if I am wrong here.... This MH365 with pen holder loaded should in theory operate just as any other grit roll plotter. However, it doesn't, the driver disc provided with the plotter contains setup info for USB which the device does not have. While there are drivers for various Graphtec Plotters on the disc there is no documentation to correlate which Graphtec driver is capable of driving the plotter correctly. While my application is not for making signs perse I feel there should be driver support for Windows, Linux, and Mac to allow the use of the plotter with any application capable of producing vector output via the windows print subsystem.

The MH365 setup is the same as the other refine plotters. The pen adapter does not need a separate driver. The plotter will work on PC or Mac with Signcut, however there is no cutting program or USB>Serial conversion driver for Linux that I know of. I have updated the USB setup instructions at the top of the page with more current and specific information relevant to Signcut and better USB setup instructions.

Marcel, a quick question or two if you please.

I just got my new MH-1351 plotter running tonight on the USB connection under Signcut X-2. I'm currently using the MH-721 cutter settings as listed specifically in the setup guide. Shouldn't I be using the MH-1351 option under Signcut X-2?

I also have Corel Draw 12 on the computer.  I downloaded the Refine Corel plotter driver, I assume I'm using the NT4.0 driver for my Windows XP Pro operating system.  Is there any sort of Refine plotter compatibility with the Adobe Creative Suite software in the works?

Thanks for your assistance - and I'm enjoying the MH-1351!  :( 

Yes, you should be using the MH1351 as your selected cutter in SignCut. The MH 721 is used for the 721 and 365 models. I need to correct the insert sheet.

No word on support for Adobe just yet, and the Corel driver works for some platforms, but not all. If you ever face a problem with the Corel driver, you could save your Corel files in .eps format and import them to SignCut to cut out.

:(

Hi, please help me,

I have purchased a refine plotter MH-721 from you guys at US Cutter on ebay that came with the signcut software, I have tried using every cable, the lpt, and the usb and com 3 (signcut does not give me an option to select com 1 and I do have a com1, so we tried com 3) , we tried EVERYTHING from the manual, to the user guide and helps guides online and from the cds, every way shape and form that was mentioned to get the program to recognize my plotter and nothing is working. the plotter will run test runs on its own but does not communicate with my computer at all. Do you think something with the ports within the plotter may be not working properly? Please help me, I need to get this thing working. thank you, diana rodrigues

Hi, please help me,

I have purchased a refine plotter MH-721 from you guys at US Cutter on ebay that came with the signcut software, I have tried using every cable, the lpt, and the usb and com 3 (signcut does not give me an option to select com 1 and I do have a com1, so we tried com 3) , we tried EVERYTHING from the manual, to the user guide and helps guides online and from the cds, every way shape and form that was mentioned to get the program to recognize my plotter and nothing is working. the plotter will run test runs on its own but does not communicate with my computer at all. Do you think something with the ports within the plotter may be not working properly? Please help me, I need to get this thing working. thank you, diana rodrigues

I TOO AM HAVING THIS SAME PROBLEM

Hi, please help me,

I TOO AM HAVING THIS SAME PROBLEM

Email me directly for support if needed  kenimes@uscutter.com

I have both a mh365 and a mh721 connected to lpt1. in your set-up instructions you say to use the mh/eh 721 as the cutter, the only one that works for me is the refine 2 as the  cutter. is this correct or am i missing something.

Thanks,    Bigmac

You should have Refine selected as the manufacturer, and Refine MH/EH 721 selected as the cutter for both models.

I've just got mine in model mh721 and I don't even know how to load the vinyl roll.  The directions I have don't make any sense so I'm asking someone to walk this thru with me.  I finally got the drivers to load to use with the usb connection from the forum.  I don't understand the instructions either on loading the blade.  The directions need to be step by step so someone that is mechanically challenged can do it.  So can I get some help:  putting blade in and how to put the vinyl before I even attempt anything else.

Joy

Remove the rubber from the blade. Put the pointed end into the blade holder and it should magnetically "snap" into place. Put the blade holder in the carriage arm in the back position with the lip reting on top of them arm. Tighten it in to place with the gold screw on the carriage arm.

Are you loading a roll of vinyl or just a sheet of vinyl? Load it from the back and have it off of the right side about 3 inches then snap one of the pinch rollers down on the material about an inch in from the side of the material. Put another pinch roller in the middle and snap it down. out another one about an inch in from the left side of the material and snap it down. Turn the cutter on and use the offline button and the arrow keys to move the material in the cutter to where you would like it to start cutting- the blade should be over on the right hand side of the cutter near the corner of the material. Press the origin button to set the origin or starting position of your cut.

Alot of patience is needed when learning to use something new, including the software. If you have some, then you will be cutting in no time. 

hello guys i have been using my mh721 and haven't had to many problems after i followed all instructions on uploading the usb file. but for some reason now the sign cut program does not see the plotter it does not give me the option com anything???i have read your sticky at top adn followed all direction just like the first time.i don't knwo if its casue im blind from frustration but i cannot find the

ports under the device manager.I remember going through this when i purchased it but since i have had no problems i guess i forgot how to redo this??

can you please guide through this in case i missed out something.

thank you

rek

If unplugging the USB cable and power cycling the cutter does not help, you could update to the latest version of SignCut, 2.18

www.support.uscutter.com

Then go to the Downloads section to find it.

I have had no luck getting my computer with WindowsXP to communicate with the MH365 cutter using any of thel three cables. As well as changing every single combination in the cutter setup in Sign Blazer....and every other thing I've seen in the guides and posted in here.

What do I do?

Thanks for all your time and effort.

I would like to know what does the Baudrate setting does and the Blade Offset. I would like to tweak my MH1351, it does quite make complete corner cuts!

Baud rate will not have anything to do with your corner issue, so do not adjust this value. The offset may be the culprit, so what do you have your offset set to in the cutting software?

Yesterday, I tried a few settings. Right now I set it to .25 for the blade offset and .50 for the overcut. These seems to be the best setting...so I think! I'm still learning about the program and the plotter. I tried offsets of .0125, .0185, and .125 with overcuts double the value of each. Some of the examples I cut either didn't close completely or left peaks. However, I set it at .25 offset and .50 overcut...it looks pretty clean. I'm open to suggestions and explainations. Thanks!