Sign in to follow this  
nonabelle

NEAT IDEA I THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE!

Great Idea - A Way to Make Weeding Designs a Snap!

Comments from our Great Garment Graphics attendees prompted a neat little invention for those creating and cutting or printing/cutting their own artwork.  Folks were complaining about the need to hold down the material with one hand/arm and only able to use the other hand to weed the excess CAD-CUT material away from the just-cut-design.  This was especially tricky if the material had a sticky backing to it.  Mel Meibers, Great Garment Graphics Presenter, came up with a quick fix that you can create by making a quick trip to the local hardware store.  This is what you will need:

1 piece of press board for a work surface

4 furniture glides to work as "feet" and to prevent scratching your desk

4 metal spring clamps to hold down design

Attach 4 feet glides to the bottom of your board, and attach clamps around your design and start weeding excess material.  Everything gets held in place an you're able to use both hands which speeds up your production.  How easy!

post-2130-12986520647353_thumb.jpg

post-2130-1298652064766_thumb.jpg

post-2130-12986520657371_thumb.jpg

post-2130-12986520657578_thumb.jpg

WOW THats a lot of material waste!! How much space do you leave for the weeding frame?

Nice invention though.

Joe

Interesting, but I found a piece of tape at each corner has worked perfectly for many years. How do they apply the application tape I wonder?

WOW THats a lot of material waste!! How much space do you leave for the weeding frame?

Nice invention though.

Joe

UH JOE DARLING, THEY CAN DO THAT WITH VINYL IT'S NOT COSTING THEM A DIME :thumbsup:

Interesting, but I found a piece of tape at each corner has worked perfectly for many years. How do they apply the masking tape I wonder?

WHAT MASKING TAPE?

Necessity is the mother of invention! Good idea.

Interesting, but I found a piece of tape at each corner has worked perfectly for many years. How do they apply the masking tape I wonder?

Ditto, I take the waste material from a letter such as a "O,P,B,Q,R D and so on. Works great. Put it on the edges, stays down.

Also works on yippy wives, fresh kids and yappy dogs.

Guest fivestar

It's sticky backing...........Just grip and rip, it will not come off where it is cut as long as the cuts are closed.  I can weed t-shirt vinyl with my eyes closed until I get to the O, P A and such.

WHAT MASKING TAPE?

Working on other projects, got my terminology wrong. Been corrected. Thanx for pointing this out.