ClassicPlastic

Is there any *simple* way to cut text?

I just purchased a PCUT that came with SignBlazer design software. I'm not in the sign business, but need lots of vinyl letters for signs that frequently change for the farmer's market that I operate. All I need to do is cut simple lines of text, not design a new ceiling for the Sistine Chapel. I can handle the hardware part, but getting to that point in the process is proving to be daunting.

SignBlazer seems to be a strong program, but for my needs, it's like swatting a mosquito with a cruise missile. The challenge for me, here at the bottom of the learning curve, is that SignBlazer, and the .pdf instruction manual, presumes that the user already has a strong professional knowledge of the genre, with all sorts of terms and concepts that aren't normally familiar for a newbie. With months of slogging, I can eventually learn the program, but I neither need to know most of the information nor do I have the months to spend; the market opens in three weeks and the signs need to be up well before then.

My question is: Is there an easy way to get started cutting simple lines of text?

The simplest option would be to be able to input the text in Word, then export it directly to the cutter. Or with another such simple program. Is there any way to do this without becoming a master at SignBlazer?

Even better, is there any basic info on "Getting Started with SignBlazer" out there? Some sort of step-by-step instructions for simple text cutting? When I try this in SB, the text goes onto the screen fine, but when I enlarge it to fill the banner size that I've set, it expands outside of the pink border and I don't know what will happen if I output it (I haven't even set up the cutter, yet.) The confusion expands exponentially.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like you need to click file then workspace setup to make the work area big enough for the text you want to cut. Once you do that it should make the pink box bigger. You seem like you have the text and sizing part down after changing the work area you should be able to click cutter and then send it to the cutter. That should be a quick and dirty hope it helps.

Open Sign Blazer, click on the "font" option on the top menu, and a text toolbar will open. From there you can change the font size, compression, and slant. Type the wording you want, and adust sizing, etc. if needed. Turn on your cutter, feed the machine some vinyl, click on the "cut" button and you're making a decal...

Try using inkscape www.inkscape.com to set-up your letters, save it to an eps, and open it using SignCut and cut it. SignCut is less cumbersome than SBE, easier to use, etc., etc.. IMHO. SignCut leases for about $68 a year or you can buy it outright. I found it easier to use, mebbe you will as well.

Just use SignBlazer. It is so simple.

File + New

Select the size of "Work Space" to fit your text

Click on the Text icon

Pick the font you want to use from the pull down

Key in the size of text in the Text box

Left Click in your work area and type in your text.

Click on the "Cut" icon to cut it out.

I wouldn't use two programs to create and cut text when SignBlazer is so simple.

post-1657-12986520611008_thumb.jpg

I agree with Jay do it all with signblazer.  You are so close already  when it happens it will scare you that its this easy :thumbsup:

Prime example of whats happening to the sign business. Anyone can afford a cutter and software now. If they were smaller, i would predict that every desktop setup would have one. :'(

Prime example of whats happening to the sign business. Anyone can afford a cutter and software now. If they were smaller, i would predict that every desktop setup would have one. :'(

slopchops, what is wrong with u, r u on here discourage or encourage. OMG

I agree, Nonabelle.  He implicitly said he is not in the sign business in the beginning, and was just looking for a little help and support.

I am in the printing business and I don't berate people who have a desktop printer in their home.

I agree too, this site is here to help, not attack someone for asking an honest question or asking for help. Now,,, Yes use signblazer, I found it very easy to learn and use.

dang, i thought i was tripping out and i'm not even drinking lol. the forum jump trac right before my eyes. looks good tho. :thumbsup:

but anyway, slopchops why r u so negative?

Slpchops has posted here that he suffers from Dementia. Mark it down to that and leave it.

Some things to remember about Signblazer ( and other programs as well):

1. You have to set your workspace correctly. You can't cut 20" text inside a 15 inch workspace.

2.You can't cut 18 inch text with 15 inch vinyl. It will tile.

3. You can't cut anything that is bigger than your cutter capablity. It you have a 24 inch cutter, you can't cut anything wider then 24 inches.

So...for simple text...set the workspace to match your sign,or whatever...make your text no larger than the vinyl you are going to cut, type in the text,and cut.

Indeed, he was a wealth of information, especially in regards to SignBlazer. I have over 23 pages of posts he made, and I might copy and paste the step by step proceedure posts on to one document to share, as well as the other tips and tricks he had offered while he was still with us.