Sign in to follow this  
JoeCamaro

Rival niche markets: One store?

Would you sell stuff for rival niche markets in the same store? Let me explain myself better.

I have some niche markets and some of them are very profitable to me and I think there is another niche market that would be very profitable too, but that new market is totally the opposite to the one that makes me good money.

Do you think this could be a conflict? Can this damage sales?

Example:

A while ago a saw an online t shirt store that had a section for Christian shirts and another section for Sex/Alcohol shirts. I thought that wasnt a smart move. maybe Christian t shirt buyers wont like the fact that the guy making the shirts they want to buy is also selling "bad" or "worldly" stuff.

What do you guys think?

Joe

I see your point but just beacuse you are Christian doesn't mean you can't have a sense of humour about sex and alcohol. Maybe it's the Catholic in me. we tend to look at things different. (not perfect, just forgiven)

Guest fivestar

I would agree with that scenerio Joe.  I wouldn't want to sell christian shirts and sex shirts at the same site.  If you're doing it online, I'd open up 2 sites as you can get web hosting from microsoft and others for free.

Now a brick and mortor store is different, there I would say it is ok to do, the reason is you can reassure the christain that you're not some kind of "weirdo" and it is a business decision to carry both product lines.  That's hard to do online. JMO

Selling something like motor oil and hair combs in the same place, no problem.

If you're going onto two ends of the spectrum like that, you'd be better off having two stores.

Sure, those in the middle (the majority) won't have a problem.  However, it only takes a few on either extreme of anything to make a lot of noise.