Sign in to follow this  
Jackie J

Hello from a confussed NEWBIE

Hi everyone, I've been trying to follow you all around, but I'm so confussed. :'(

I really want to start doing the vinyl cutting thingy..

I would like to do decals for my car windows and also tee shirts.

Could someone tell me what I should buy? I already have the heat press.

what is the difference between a plotter and a cutter. do I need conture? what ever that is

and which vinyl for windows and which for tees.

which software to be able to do both?

Sorry I'm so full of questions.

But Thanks in advance for any help you might lend.

I would suggest the Pcut it will do almost any thing you want. It comes with signblazer which will get you started. Get some vinyl such as Oracal 651 for your windows and thermoflex for shirts. Visit the forum often to stay updated and learn. You will also need some transfer tape. That will get you started

Dawg

Hello and welcome to the site.

In choosing a cutter, first we need to know what you plan on using it for... which you said vehicle window decals. The other thing to consider is how much you want to spend on a cutter. In your case, I would probably recommend the refine. Others that have the refine Round here can chime in with the benefits of it.

A plotter usually refers to a pen attachment that will draw a designed image from the comp., and a cutter does the same thing as a plotter, but cuts the design instead.

A contour cut is when you cut around an image, say for instance you have some vinyl you ran through your home printer, and needed to cut an oval around the image. The laserpoint machine that uscutter offers can do this.

As for vinyl material... yes, there are several different types, all for different applications. This is when trial and error, and personal preference come into play... but a lot of people can give you their opinion  on this subject. Thankfully, most vinyl is cheap to play with.

Software... all uscutter cutters come with a program called sign blazer elements. This is a good entry level program that not only allows you to designs images, import images, but is also the cutter program too. The is a free downloadable demo version on the uscutter website. I recommend that you download it and learn how to use it while waiting to recieve your machine once purchased.

This forum has some of the best people around, and a ton of knowledge, which just adds to the purchase of a uscutter machine!!!

All US Cutters can do decals and cut designs for shirts. 

I personally love Thermoflex Plus for shirts, a little more pricey but I love how it weeds.  But like previously mentioned, everyone has their preferences.

I also recommend a teflon sheet when pressing onto shirts, get atleast 2.  Just my opinion.  I use them regularly.

Things will all start coming together and you will be having alot of fun.  There is alot to learn, but that's what this forum is all about!  :thumbsup:

BTW...WELCOME!!

Jenny

Guest gracewriter

Welcome to the forum!

I recommend the Refine because the pressure rollers that hold the vinyl down are adjustable.  I also like the position of the ruler better.  It's a little louder than the pcut, but can be quite entertaining.

Thank you all very much. You have given me the insight on how to get started.

Does anyone have a special place on where to buy?

Thanks again

Jackie

Welcome!  One of my favorite places to buy supplies is fellers.com.  You can arrange with them to give you free shipping on orders over $75.00.  You can find some good stuff on ebay as well.