Sign in to follow this  
Guest Terry

HONEY BEE'S

I have been working near beehives in boxes and one in the tree similar to the one shown earlier. Well these bees for some reason attack every so often and the are very aggressive when they do. So much so that they attack peoples heads. I got stung right on the eyelid 2 weeks ago. NOT FUN. And I'm mildly allergic. So my eye got swollen shut, I looked like the elephant man for a few days. So far it was been 3 times that these bees had went for my eyes. twice I was wearing glasses. I really don't think these are honey bees.

honey bees can be tempermental, especially when you are near their home. bees located near high tension power lines can be unnaturally nasty.

bb

Dan- what area of the country are you in?  I've worked with bees for years and not known anything other than african-tainted bees to be so aggressive and aim for "openings" in the face.  a number of africanized bee victims wer found with thier mouth, ears, eyes and nostrils full of bees.  Not pretty.

Normal european or italian bees (which are the most common) are quite docile unless:

- you bump into their hive

- wear black, or dark colors around their hive

- breathe on them- for God's sake, don't breathe on them!

I think all that has to do with them thinking you're a predator (like a bear).

I don't think they mind leaches too much though.  ;D

If the bees are turning into a menace, you should talk to the owner about requeening the hives to settle them down or report the hive(s) to the county ext. svc. so they can have a constructive talk with the owner/keeper.

- K

I'm Southern California. Every now and then a bee will attack without provoking. I wear a white shirt while working around them. maybe they think we are predators  ;D I did hear that allot of farmers in Southern California did import bees from some other country.

You are squarely in the middle of an area of africanized bee influence.  They got started there about 15 years ago.

I'd call the county extension office and ask their advise.  Honey bees are wonderful creatures, but if they pose a threat while you are just working around your place, that's not right.

- K

speaking of bee stings. my mother used to sell live honey bees (a dozen or so at a time in a jar) to an older women who had terrible arthritis. the women would take a be frrom the jar and sting the area (i think it was her wrists). what this does, is cause your body to produce natural cortizone in the area of the sting. for that woman this was the best natural therapy she could get.

bb