Sign in to follow this  
Guest Terry

HONEY BEE'S

Guest fivestar

Yeah I know a few people like that.  I had one sting me once, hurt like a mofo, but never swelled.  Well 2 weeks later I wake up in the morning and it looks like I got the sh!t knocked out of me.  I went to the drug store and the pharmacist said that's common for it not to swell for weeks later, I never heard tell of it until then.

I got it once in the middle of the chest.Little bastage got down my shirt. I was revived in the ambulance. That was a close one. In that area,about 10 minutes is all you have.

Since you all sound pretty knowledgeable about bees, this past Spring when my flowering bradford pear tree was in full bloom, everytime I went near it, all I heard was buzzing sounds.  I could see the small bees EVERYWHERE.... would ground bees go to the tree like that or just honey bees??  I only ask about those 2, because they were small..............I realize what a bumblebee, wasp, etc looks like!!  :huh: 

Oh btw, I got close and they never attacked me.....but I wasn't moving the branches around either.

Jenny

Since you all sound pretty knowledgeable about bees, this past Spring when my flowering bradford pear tree was in full bloom, everytime I went near it, all I heard was buzzing sounds.  I could see the small bees EVERYWHERE.... would ground bees go to the tree like that or just honey bees??  I only ask about those 2, because they were small..............I realize what a bumblebee, wasp, etc looks like!!  :huh: 

Oh btw, I got close and they never attacked me.....but I wasn't moving the branches around either.

Jenny

That sounds like honey bees. They go bananas in full bloom trees like that.

I want to relate one of my childhood memories. Aggravating wasps were a favorite pastime next to dragging a dead cat around.  :huh:

We would get our slingshots and pelt a wasps nest and see if we could outrun them when they attacked. Naturally we failed and were rewarded with several good stings for our efforts.

We would squall and run to our mommy's for comfort and a cure. Much to our chagrin we were offered neither but a rebuke for not listening to sound advise to leave the wasps alone.

Well, what did mothers know anyway.

After a couple days of healing we mysteriously forgot about the wasp encounters and were plotting new ways of ridding our community of these pests.

Perhaps if we used larger missiles we would have better success. Rudely, the neighborhood was rocked by our shrieks of pain as our carefully laid ploy failed again.

Took several years of study befoe we concluded that it's best to leave the wasps alone. :-

Guest Terry

we did it with the paper wasp nest throwing apples when kids.  :huh: ???

I also did the same as fivestar, only I was laying Invisible Fence wire underground, and hit the ground bees nest.

years ago when I had my upholstery shop, my wife (at the time) picked up and old chair that had been sitting on an old lady's front porch. About when we got to the truck,I heard the buzzing. WE quickly sat the chair down,and out the wasps came. She headed for the old lady's house,and since I wasd on the other side...just started running. IT was 4 blocks to a liittle hardware store,and that's when I stopped running. The fould little bastages chased me most of the way. About six stings in all. Luckily, I am NOT allergic to wasp stings. But it HURT! So, I bought some wasp killer that you could spray from 15 feet away, walked back the 4 blocks, and committed waspicide. I was only about 35 then,but found out exactly  how fast I could run. If it ever happens again, I guess I'll just lie down and surrender.

Guest Terry
:huh: ya and unlike a honey bee... Any wasp or hornet can sting you over and over as many times as they want, but the honey gets one shot, then dies. :huh:

Guest Terry

Final update... They are all gone but about 6-12 looking for the lady  :huh: who now has a new home away from my yard.  :huh:

The guy had no face net, no suit, and no gloves. He only got stung one time in the neck. Very friendly colony they said.

Guest gracewriter

Maybe they can become friend's with the mutant pond lizard?

lol

You will get points from the ladies for not killing them, but slopchops may suggest you should have fried them.

:huh: ??? :huh:;):D :D

lol

You will get points from the ladies for not killing them, but slopchops may suggest you should have fried them.

did he smoke them?

Guest gracewriter

did he smoke them?

Rolled or on the grill?

Well I hope that Terry at least seasoned it or marinaded the mystery lizard prior to grillin'

I don't think I've learned so much about bees in my entire life until I read this thread. I'm just happy that I'm not allergic to bees. My cousin is and she's always good about carrying around her epi pen. She got stung once while on campus, she asked a stranger to run to the nearest phone to call 911 (this was before the days of cell phones), the guy just looked at her like she was stupid. Another person came by and graciously drove my cousin to ER. Scary stuff.

Well I hope that Terry at least seasoned it or marinaded the mystery lizard prior to grillin'

I don't think I've learned so much about bees in my entire life until I read this thread. I'm just happy that I'm not allergic to bees. My cousin is and she's always good about carrying around her epi pen. She got stung once while on campus, she asked a stranger to run to the nearest phone to call 911 (this was before the days of cell phones), the guy just looked at her like she was stupid. Another person came by and graciously drove my cousin to ER. Scary stuff.

Here's another lesson...when I mentioned smoking them...beekeepers use a smoker...the smoke makes the bees lethargic and easy to handle. Come to think of it, I used to be the same way back in the day. Different kind of smoking,though.

Guest Terry

Your worry is sharks on your surf board.  :huh:

Here's another lesson...when I mentioned smoking them...beekeepers use a smoker...the smoke makes the bees lethargic and easy to handle. Come to think of it, I used to be the same way back in the day. Different kind of smoking,though.

LOL John! You crazy.

just dug up this thread while looking for something else. yes jon, the bees in this country suffer from mites. two kinds actually, the "veroa" mite and the "tracheal" mite.  the veroa is a mite that lives on the outside of the bee much like fleas to a dog or cat. the tracheal mite lives in the bees trachea. they are about a quarter to a third the size of the veroa mite, maybe even smaller. there are also a couple of viruses and fungal diseases, but i can't remember what they are. my mom kept bees and sold beekeeping supplies for many years. she had a "bee vacuum" for rescuing swarms of bees. she would even remove colonies of bees from inside walls of buildings and barns. when it comes to catching swarms, all you have to do is get the queen, and the rest will follow. that is all.

bb

Guest round2racing

I have to admit, this was one of the most interesting off topic posts I have read in a while.

Thanks to all for the knowledge!!!

Guest Terry

I have to admit, this was one of the most interesting off topic posts I have read in a while.

You want to see something REAL interesting..... Dig up the one about the thing in my pond that GLOWS neon orange AND then turn invisible. :lol:

You want to see something REAL interesting..... Dig up the one about the thing in my pond that GLOWS neon orange AND then turn invisible. :)

Ohh yeah, that was a FUNNY one!!  :lol:

Guest Terry

You want to see something REAL interesting..... Dig up the one about the thing in my pond that GLOWS neon orange AND then turn invisible. :)

BUT TRUE!!!

Ohh yeah, that was a FUNNY one!!  :lol:

I thought you quit on that thing you smelled Terry.  :lol:

Just Kidding! Did you ever found out what those were?

Guest Terry

They populated and killed 1000 fish and every frog in the pond. we are bleaching the pond as soon as it lowers this summer, we are told they came in on ducks feet.

1,000 fish? Thats a lot.

Terry, did you wash your feet in the pond? I hope you learned the lesson.

Guest round2racing

Glowing pond?

Was it an algae?

I have to find that thread.

Terry, where in the heck do you live that you would have all these adventures?!?!?!?!