lidowho

Registration Mark Help

Hi all,

I'm having big fun with my new cutter despite knowing exactly how to use it.  Just stumbling and learning as I go.  So far all I've done is cut and plot.  Even then, I've been able to do amazing things so far!  But now I'd like to contour cut. 

I've created a file in Illustrator.  Created registration marks (done with Cutting Master thru Illy as instructed by Graphtec).  Printed on my inkjet printer.  Now I'd like to do the cut.  Right now I'm just doing a test on plain paper.  The goal is to cut the window cling film I printed my design on to.

I'm having trouble getting the machine to find the registration marks.  I'm working with an 8.5 x 11 inch page.  I've done landscape and portrait, just in case that's the problem.  When it searches for the registration marks at the back, the page comes out too far and the rollers can't pull it back into the machine.  My marks are about .25 inches from the edge, but it's allowing me to place them there so I'm assuming (ya, I know...) that it should work.  I tried to place registration marks in other places and I was warned it wouldn't work.  But this "does".  So, are the registration marks too far into the margin?  Should I "cheat" the page and tape some extra on to the bottom so the machine will have enough to pull back in?  What's your expert advice?  Is my problem in question #2?

Dumb Rookie registration mark question #2:  when I press send to send the job to the machine, I'm prompted to "position head over first mark located @ bottom right when facing the cutter".  Is it asking me to put the optical eye over the registration mark?  Or do I put the blade over the registration mark?  And I know this is really stupid, but anywhere over the registration mark or in the corner of the reg mark?

I did watch the UTube video and saw the guy place something over the reg mark, but not exactly what.  Thanks!!

I am having the same problem; however, I have the FC8000-75. I don't see to many people using these. Everything I read is on the CE5000, which I think the procedures are the same. I always get an error when reading Registration Marks. I don't know if it actually work or not. Do you go by the tool 1 or tool 3 to align the head? Do you go by the pointer or what? Graphtec support is no help, they talk to you like you stupid and as if their machines never goof up. I haven't been able to contour cut yet from it. When you watch videos, they do not show you everything, it makes assumptions that you know.

Contour cutting with a Graphtec is like learning to ride a bike... You can only get better with practice and once you got it you never forget!

One of the biggest rules is spacing... It is important to not try and crowd the sheet you are trying to contour cut and you should always tighten your contour marks to your design. I find I have more success when the marks are not crowded by the desing or the constraints of the sheet you are contour cutting upon.

The positioning of the laser depends on the type of registration mark you are using... I have the most success by importing my designs into a RoboMaster sheet and using their marks.. I can assure you that you should not position the laser directly over the marks.. Usually just above or below centered with the dead center of the mark....

I would like to be more help, anyway I can convince you to give me a call or submit a trouble ticket so we can more directly interface?