Sign in to follow this  
Print Star

need help pricing job

I have been asked to do a van for a guy and I have no idea how to price it. It is 2 color and about 3x5 on both sides. Have never done something this big before. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

What type of vinyl would you use? I use oracal 651 for everything else.

The best way to learn pricing in your area would be to cruise around and see jobs on vehicles that are similar. Get on your phone and call the owners explaining how you were impressed with his signs and were wondering how much it cost.  (sneaky)

People here are from all different parts of the country and have all kinds of different price scales.

This gives you a good education on prices in YOUR area. Anywhere else is a waste of time.

Use the very best of vinyl that will cover things like rivets even though you may not have any on this job.

If you don't know how to install large sheets of vinyl, get on youtube and learn fast. Don't forget to dewax the vehicle where you are going to place the vinyl.

I use rubbing alcohol, a great glass cleaner also. You don't have to do the whole vehicle, just where you place the vinyl.

I usually start at $10 a sq ft and then drop off about 30 bucks to make them feel like they are getting a good deal. I charge $35 an hour to install, and only once has someone not had me do the install.

If you like using Oracal and plan on sticking with that brand... I would recommend bumping up to atleast 751, if not 851 cast vinyl. Longer outdoor lifespan, and easier to apply on cuvred surfaces.

If you like using Oracal and plan on sticking with that brand... I would recommend bumping up to atleast 751, if not 851 cast vinyl. Longer outdoor lifespan, and easier to apply on cuvred surfaces.

It is a van side so it is fairly flat. What brand vinyl do you use for vehicles. I am not set on oracal if there is something better or more user friendly.

I'm an Oracal fan myself, but I have limited experience. Terry and Banner like FDC, and Five likes Avery(i think). So... each to their own, I guess.

Even if the surface is fairly flat, I would still suggest using a cast vinyl, mainly for the outdoor lifespan and durability to the weather.

Guest fivestar

No five (me) don't like Avery, too stiff for me.  I love Oracal myself.

we are just getting started. Where do we find the oracle vinyl and is it peel off to adhear to flat surfaces. any help is appreciated

You can find Oracal distributors/resellers on their website.

Mosey around their website and there should be a section where you can request a few samples, a color chart of their different vinyls, and possibly a DVD about applications (so I've heard).

I like oracal stuff too, and not because that it's the cheapest vinyl that I can get locally, but it predictable to me. I know how the vinyl is going to behave while I'm weeding and applying it.

Good luck!

To find a list of online retailers... go to the forum's main page, and type in "material suppliers", and click on the first thread that is listed. There are about 20 different online retailers in that thread... with website links.

The other day, I got some 3M and it didn't want to weed like my Avery.

I guess that I will have to try some Oracal.

I have used 3M a bit harder to weed than, Avery...a very good vinyl, Arlon...Stay away, Cheap and doesn't stick well. DigiCal...run, washes off with high pressure washers. Now maybe if you are useing it on your own car, no problem because you know its there. But for a customer get the best as They are your referals, Oracal...never used it but need to give it a try.