brigol

Newbie who just wants to offer window decals in his sports photography business

Hi all,

I own a sports photography business in Texas and I have someone locally making decals for me but they are very unreliable. I'm interested in purchasing a plotter but not sure which one to purchase. The decal business is not a huge part of my business (just one of many add-on items offered) so I only need a machine to turn out 10-50 decals for any particular sports league I'm doing. I don't envision getting into the sign making business so simplicity is most important to me.

I use Photoshop as my editing software and I believe I know how to turn a .jpg file into an .eps file for vectoring purposes.

My questions are:

1. Which model would suit my needs best?

2. What are the best materials I need (vinyl, transfer tape, etc.)

3. Is there a book of sports related decals that one can purchase that can be scanned.

Would appreciate any help y'all can give.

what would be the largest decal you would be likely to cut?

Between 6"x 6" and 8"x 8".

I've attached a sample of the window decals we are currently selling.

Thanks BannerJohn

post-2495-1298652016886_thumb.jpg

post-2495-12986520184628_thumb.jpg

IMHO,

you will need a minimum 12" cutteravailable on the store page, it doesnt really matter which one for this type of decal, you will certainly need transfer tape, the opaque stuff will be fine as this is only one color and yes vinyl, any color you want. Get it off of ebay or whereever. The plotter will come with a program to do all of the work.

Art, well, there are several websites online that have art that you can look at. brandsofhteworld.com just to name one, they have art that is already vectored as you need vectored art for the cutter. Books are ok but you still have to vector them, although its not too tough, you can download inkscape which is like adobe illustrator and it will trace it.

hope this helps

Wayne

Hi brigol!

Welcome to the forums. Even though you are not planning on getting in the sign business, I would suggest you get a 24" cutter instead of a 12". You will work more comfortable and will have more space to grow  just in case. For the price of a 12" cutter you can pay a bit more and get a 24" Refine which is what I've got. Refines work excellent and are economic. You will getting the oney back sooo quickly, vinyl is very cheap. You will also be able to offer shirts if you would like.

I hope you make a good desicion and whatever it is, we are here to help..

JOE

Guest fivestar

I agree with Joe, 24" is the way to go.  You only think you won't be doing bigger stuff, believe me once people find out you have a cutter you'll be doing so much stuff you'll wonder when you are going to get your other stuff done.

To Joe, Wayne and FiveStar:

You guys are great! Thanks for all of your responses. Our sports photography business slows down in the summer so I'll have plenty of time to get up to speed and ready with more offerings come Fall.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions once I receive the cutter but I promise to try my best before bothering you guys unless I run into a brick wall.

Thanks again and good luck in your endeavors.

Brian

The 24" will also help when you get further into it and decide you want to do T-shirts and caps -- a great addition for the line you are carrying.

Guest gracewriter

Welcome to the forum and don't worry about bothering anyone with questions.  Some of us live to be able to answer something we actually know how to do (I'm pretty new to this too but am becoming more proficient each day), but you have many experts at your fingertips in here who are incredibly generous with their knowledge.

I did learn after a while it was better to come on here and ask after an hour of trying to figure something out on my own, than to spend hours and hours and hours if not days trying to figure something out because I was too worried about being a "pest."  I bug everyone now.  Most things you want to do are pretty simple to these veterans.

I don't do the same things most people do on here so I'm sort of an odd-ball, but they let me hang around anyway.  In any event, I'd never recommend anything less that 24".  In fact, I wish I had gotten a larger machine.

The more you play with these machines the more creative ideas that come to you.    And like, who doesn't like playing with stickers :huh:

This is the best forum on the net, nicest people you'll ever encounter.

Oh, and... P.S.  GET A REFINE!

If you happen to live close to the Houston area, you are welcome to stop by and see a 24" pcut run. I live on the west side of town in Katy. I'm no expert like Joe, Terry, Banner, Five, and many others here... but I have learned a thing or two since I started.  :huh:

Guest fivestar

I don't do the same things most people do on here so I'm sort of an odd-ball, but they let me hang around anyway.  In any event, I'd never recommend anything less that 24".  In fact, I wish I had gotten a larger machine.

That's just because they won't give me the ban button. :huh:  J/K We all try to help out, I honestly didn't have a clue as to what a vinyl cutter was less then 2 yrs ago.  I like to think I am "fairly" good with one now, but there are ALOT better people out there then little ole me.

Guest gracewriter

That's just because they won't give me the ban button. :huh:  J/K We all try to help out, I honestly didn't have a clue as to what a vinyl cutter was less then 2 yrs ago.  I like to think I am "fairly" good with one now, but there are ALOT better people out there then little ole me.

Ah, come one Five, you are much too modest.

I too agree with the other 24" is the best way to go.  I never thought we'd need it, but WOW I'm glad we did.  Even when you have alot of decals to cut......having the 24" allows less waste on the vinyl, if you set up the decals to cut close together.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jenny