Sign in to follow this  
Knobhill

Windows XP SP3

I'd like to hear what your experience was with the latest service pack. I had major issues at first. I have since have installed it with success after cleanup. It comes down to how messed up your computer is when you do the update. You need to clean your machine before uping to SP3. I found this to be the biggest reason for problems.

I held back on this post due to attacks by another member on this subject.

It's "hear", not "here"...  I guess the service pack doesn't include grammar check. :)

Guest fivestar

You mean you held back because the other member was correct, me.  I told you if you knew what you was doing SP3 worked like a charm, now you have admitted it.  Also like a said before, Vista works great too, if you know what you're doing. 

Guest Terry

Only thing I seen.... is it gives a warning if you have Norton installed or AMD processor.

There are LOTS more problems with SP3 than that.

Have a nice read:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207600950

A lot of people have no problems at all. Would any of you want to be one of the ones who does? Spontaniuous re-boots...system crashes...

The problems are widely known and widely reported...a simple Google search will show you this. It has also been reported that it won't install AT ALL if you don't already have sp1 and sp2 installed.

While I agree with Fivestar about the 'if you know what you are doing'. The problem is,MOST people don't. And if you have automatic updates turned on...well, by the time you have the problems it is too late.

Short answer is...OK for people like Fivestar who know a bit about computers...best advice to the average person is to wait. Especially people running AMD chips. I myself have repaired,fixed,cleaned and updated computers for years...and I'm waiting. Why? Because I'd rather be safe than sorry and I've yet to see Microsoft release anything that wasn't buggy in the first release.

I'm not going to let this thread turn into another shouting match or name-calling fest. Keep it nice or it will go.

Guest Terry

Sure now ya tell me, I'm installing it in a computer I built last night. We'll see how it goes, but it is all new and clean. Let ya know in about 20 minutes?

Sure now ya tell me, I'm installing it in a computer I built last night. We'll see how it goes, but it is all new and clean. Let ya know in about 20 minutes?

excellent! Let us know. It would be interesting to see what it does to a nice clean computer,as opposed to the kinds that most of us have.

I have also heard that there are problems for anyone running Zone Alarm software.

Guest Terry

Ok it is fully downloaded at the moment, blue bar is complete across, but it has not gone to the install yet, 1 of 1 download complete, 1 of 1 installing... just sitting doing nothing for awhile now. But not not froze or locked.

I recently had to re-load my work computer. I offered to be the guinnea pig and load SP3. I have been running it for about 5 days now and haven't noticed any unusual activity. I do have an Intel processor though.

Guest Terry

heres what I have, still sitting....had to take a picture because nothing on that computer yet.

post-0-12986520103008_thumb.jpg

post-0-1298652011405_thumb.jpg

heres what I have, still sitting....had to take a picture because nothing on that computer yet.

you are on high-speed internet,right? Has the bar not moved in 8 minutes?

Guest Terry

Nothing, but not froze. I just thought I would try it because the computer has nothing in it to lose, maybe you have to do all the regular updates first, I just click on it for the hell of it to see what would happen cause like I said computer is clean, no big deal what happened.

well,like I said before... I have heard that it won't install if you don't have SP1 and SP2...was your install fully updated?

BTW.. I have that exact same monitor...without the smiley face.

Guest Terry

I used a XP Pro service PK 2 CD

Guest sciondrgn

No Problems from SP3 here.. Just had to install my cutter drivers but works like a charm.  been using is since the RTM Came out

a computer I built last night.

That's one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time... good one, Terry.  :)

Guest Terry

It's in, but it would not install unless I made a restore point and backed the OPS up first. After windows recognized I had made a restore point it installed.

It's in, but it would not install unless I made a restore point and backed the OPS up first. After windows recognized I had made a restore point it installed.

Yeah, I love that about microsoft...they are saying 'just in case this screws up your computer'. It's called covering your butt.

Now,hopefully,all of your drivers will work with it. Let us know. That's another issue I've seen.

Guest Terry

a computer I built last night.

That's one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time... good one, Terry.  :)

You goof ball I build them all the time.

You mean you held back because the other member was correct, me.  I told you if you knew what you was doing SP3 worked like a charm, now you have admitted it.  Also like a said before, Vista works great too, if you know what you're doing. 

Uh, No. LOL Your argument was irrelevant then as it is now. I'm trying to help, not bash another member as you seem to be obsessed with. I made this post trying to gather information to help those with  issues with SP3 hoping you would not start your nonsense again. To think I supported you with the moderators and tried to make peace appears to be a waste of my time. I refuse to lower myself to your level. I suggest keep up your helping here and stop being an AH.

It's "hear", not "here"...  I guess the service pack doesn't include grammar check. :)

FYI,  I have major arthritis and typing is a chore.

Guest fivestar

It's "hear", not "here"...  I guess the service pack doesn't include grammar check. :huh:

Sorry to "hear" about the arthritis, but it's just as easy to type hear as it is here.  Anyways, glad you're not coming down to my level, it's very very very low.  BTW, it looks like you're the only one having problems with SP3 in this thread.  hhhmmm. 

It's "hear", not "here"...  I guess the service pack doesn't include grammar check. :huh:

Sorry to "hear" about the arthritis, but it's just as easy to type hear as it is here. 

I have major arthritis in my hands as well. It sometimes is a chore to type. Unless you have it, you don't know how easy or hard it is to do anything.

Uh, No. LOL Your argument was irrelevant then as it is now. I'm trying to help, not bash another member as you seem to be obsessed with. I made this post trying to gather information to help those with  issues with SP3 hoping you would not start your nonsense again. To think I supported you with the moderators and tried to make peace appears to be a waste of my time. I refuse to lower myself to your level. I suggest keep up your helping here and stop being an AH.

:huh:

The problems with SP3 are widely known and reported. If anyone on here has any problems...there are several sites to go to that have info. Just google  'Windows sp3 problems" and you will get plenty of choices.

Not everyone is an expert.

I'd like to hear what your experience was with the latest service pack. I had major issues at first. I have since have installed it with success after cleanup. It comes down to how messed up your computer is when you do the update. You need to clean your machine before uping to SP3. I found this to be the biggest reason for problems.

Excellent advice.  On the advice of several people with far more experience than myself, I have held off on SP3 til they get the bugs out.