1clo1

Splitting design in Vinyl Master

Hello, 

I'm trying to split design colors in vinyl master DSR, the design is all one color, id like to add accent colors to a small portion of it but can't seem to figure out how.

Can anyone assist me?

Th design is yellow, I want the small portion on the side that sticks out to be a different color.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Screenshot 2022-06-22 191213.png

The quick way is to just switch your selection tool to the object mode vs the pick mode. There is a small triangle in the lower RH corner that you can tool open and change the selection tool to the other version. This will let you select each individual parts and then once selected just pic a color over on the tools and change it.  

I'm not as familiar with VM as I'd like? Will that work if the design is all one shape even though it looks like it's multiple parts?

You may need to use the Break Apart command in order to turn the design into multiple objects that can be selected individually.

• Like 1

Are you talking about the curved 'jug handle' portion?

I know how to do what you want in SignBlazer, it involves duplicating the entire object, then drawing a white box (or circle, or polyline object) over the part you don't want, and then selecting this conglomeration, and welding, which leaves the part you want remaining on its own).

42 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

I'm not as familiar with VM as I'd like? Will that work if the design is all one shape even though it looks like it's multiple parts?

You may need to use the Break Apart command in order to turn the design into multiple objects that can be selected individually.

Potentially yes if the design is all one object. If it is a grouped object then in the arrange tab you can ungroup or ungroup all or if it is all one object then in the curves tab you can break it apart. I am much more handy in adobe illustrator and have to go hunting to find the way through with VM. 

oh yeah, wasn't even thinking of it being grouped. That's always my first move when working with an image, ungroup all, don't even think about it.

3 hours ago, slice&dice said:

I went ahead and produced a short screencapture video showing what I did in SignBlazer, have no idea how to accomplish this same thing in VM.

bandicam 2022-06-23 11-43-48-301.avi

Slice, I thought you had VM cut? (as well as being the SB guru)

I used to have it on a laptop computer that went kaput. Never went through the process to have it unregistered, nor reinstalled into my current machine. I find myself perfectly fine with SBE, providing what I need, which is text-based signage. Every once in a while I miss VM for the vector engine quality, but have gotten along with Inkscape's Convert To Path feature.

IMG_0030.jpg

7 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

The quick way is to just switch your selection tool to the object mode vs the pick mode. There is a small triangle in the lower RH corner that you can tool open and change the selection tool to the other version. This will let you select each individual parts and then once selected just pic a color over on the tools and change it.  

Thanks for that info, however it didn't work, It selects the whole object and won't let me change any one part only the whole object.

You need this done, so maybe just use SignBlazer Elements, and just follow the steps like I showed.

(Export your design as .eps from VM, Import to SBE, do the 'white box welding' and then re-Export for use/cut in VM)

Sometimes, a workaround is necessary when you get stuck not knowing what to do in one program, there are alternatives.

13 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

You need this done, so maybe just download and install SignBlazer, and just follow the steps like I showed.

(Export your design as .eps from VM, Import to SBE, do the 'white box welding' and then re-Export for use/cut in VM)

Sometimes, a workaround is necessary when you get stuck not knowing what to do in one program, there are alternatives.

thanks for that info, that link doesn't work. I went to the software page of uscutter and there is no sign blazer. options?

Darn it, apparently USCUTTER has cut off server access to that download. (it's not supported by USCUTTER, they do not have any relation to that software anymore).

23 hours ago, 1clo1 said:

Thanks for that info, however it didn't work, It selects the whole object and won't let me change any one part only the whole object.

if it is all one object then in the curves tab you can break it apart (quote from previous post)

On 6/23/2022 at 10:19 PM, slice&dice said:

Darn it, apparently USCUTTER has cut off server access to that download. (it's not supported by USCUTTER, they do not have any relation to that software anymore).

Try this -- http://www.thebuttontaylor.com/sb/signblazer7_setup.exe

(It may appear as an infected file by your computer's guardian program, but that's only because there's a 'crack' in the installer so that no registration scheme is applied. It's a safe download, nothing harmful).

Thanks for that, it still dont work I get an error when I try to run the program. ill keep trying to figure things out.

6 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

if it is all one object then in the curves tab you can break it apart (quote from previous post)

Already tried that, but it doesn't work with that either. ungroup is grayed out and break apart doesn't break that section apart.

If you can't seem to break it apart like you would like, then copy and paste, then node edit out what you don't want to keep from each one. I do that frequently.

• Like 1

Wow, this is strange, SignBlazer is vanishing from the public domain.

As abandonware, it's not supported and USCUTTER has apprently decided to no longer host the file.

The 34MB installer cannot be attached here, it's too large for the Forum server to handle.

Edited by slice&dice
Installer File Removed -- too large for Forum server

On 6/23/2022 at 9:49 AM, slice&dice said:

I went ahead and produced a short screencapture video showing what I did in SignBlazer, have no idea how to accomplish this same thing in VM.

bandicam 2022-06-23 11-43-48-301.avi

Thanks, I followed your directions, I think I got the image how I want, however, I can't save it to a file that I can open with VM, I tried to export but I can't get anywhere. any other ideas?

You should be able to export the file as an .eps file.  Change the drop box at the bottom of page in signblazer export to Encapsulated Postscript ( .eps). Export it to documents or where ever you save your files.    Import into VM. 

3 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

You should be able to export the file as an .eps file.  Change the drop box at the bottom of page in signblazer export to .eps. Export it to documents or where ever you save your files.    Import into VM. 

I do all that, when I click ok, it does nothing. Just stays on the export screen.

8 minutes ago, 1clo1 said:

I do all that, when I click ok, it does nothing. Just stays on the export screen.

Restarted the program and it worked. thanks for everyone's help

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.