AFKnut

import color sample?

I was wondering if it is possible to import color samples into vinyl master pro? I use carbon fiber a lot and would love it if I could use the color samples when mocking up work! I attached a pic of what I want to upload. Any help appreciated!

Screenshot (7).png

I have Vinyl Master demo, but can't you look in the color library, FIND COLOR?  Many vinyl color samples from the actual vendors there. 

Why would it matter about seeing the texture? Cutters are made to handle whatever you throw into them, and so long as you have the colors defined in the cut screen, you can choose the one(s) you intend to cut. This is not printing, where the overall design needs to reflect exactly the final output, as a matter of specification. Use green as your color choice in the design program, and load carbon vinyl into the machine, done.
If a customer wants to see what the material actually will look like, show them the actual vinyl material (a swatch sample).

• Like 1

So carbon fiber is more a pattern than it is a color, though I hear what you're saying about getting mock-ups to clients. The difficulty that you'd run into that, is that in order to see the carbon fiber pattern, there are different shade of green involved in order to visual the pattern and texture.

S&D, the texture matters because when I am designing something a solid green does not look anything like carbon, so after I cut it thinking it will look good it looks like shit. Many times I have just reversed colors or layouts, but sure would be nice to see what it will look like before wasting my vinyl

haumana, ya I wasn't sure how it would look, but even if it just repeated the swatch I uploaded that would suffice. Its prob not possible, but something they should add!

• Like 1

Some things look good in carbon, others do not. And until you cut it you dont really know. So would just be nice to see the actual design before cutting is all. I am really surprised this has not come up to them before!

2 hours ago, AFKnut said:

S&D, the texture matters because when I am designing something a solid green does not look anything like carbon, so after I cut it thinking it will look good it looks like shit. Many times I have just reversed colors or layouts, but sure would be nice to see what it will look like before wasting my vinyl

haumana, ya I wasn't sure how it would look, but even if it just repeated the swatch I uploaded that would suffice. Its prob not possible, but something they should add!

I don't know my way around VM very well but possibly you could do a Clip of the sample. They probably call it something different maybe trap. I'm an Adobe person so I'm only fluent in AI terms. The trick will be getting the carbon texture to be size accurate. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 9.45.29 PM.png

• Like 1

I went and found a free vector of carbon fiber and was able to change the color and use it for fill as a clipping 

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 10.12.53 PM.png

I mostly use Inkscape for my design, but I did something like this once with a plaid pattern. Took a photo of the pattern, pulled it into the design, sized it then clipped it with the design. Not as convenient as just changing colors, but it worked well. 

I agree with Wild - the scaling of the carbon pattern within the design might be difficult to get on point. But I totally get that some customers just cannot envision what something will look like. The struggle is real when it comes to some customers.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.