lowlighthabit

CE-7000 and an issue cutting second image

Just got my Graphtec CE-7000 after a long backorder and have hit a bit of a snag. Using Graphtec Pro Studio (because I love Flexi and have been using it for 10+ years) to cut a single file works just fine. When I add a duplicate on the cut, whether it's the same file or a different one, the first image cuts fine but the second is always cut with less force, sometimes barely even cutting through the vinyl. So, for example, in the image shown:

The EFG sticker will cut perfectly. Blade will move to cut ABC but will use less force on it resulting in a much shallower depth. Makes weeding nearly impossible on the ABC sticker. Any help would be appreciated.

Untitled-2.jpg

No mention how you have set your blade depth. Too many incorrect instructions out there, saying to use a credit card or post it notes. That is too much blade Exposed out of the blade holder.. It really matters how much blade is exposed from the blade holder.  This works.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. Regular sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade. When you think the blade is so far in the blade holder, that you think it would not even cut, that is probably correct. 

Totally understand all that, been doing this for 15+ years. I have the blade at the proper length, did the test as well. Blade is just barely showing. Also ran the sample cuts through and they work EVERY time. Not cutting through the wax paper at all. Again, first image ALWAYS cuts perfect. Once I add a second image to the cut file whether it's using the "Copies" option or a completely different 2nd image, the cut changes to a much shallower depth barely cutting the vinyl at all. First image cuts perfect, 2nd one cuts shallow.

Cutting Oracal 651. Using the #1 setting with modified force upped to 20

CB09U+0 S30 F20 A2

Rule out the problem Cutter or software.  Trying using another of Graphtecs software, or another trial.  Never heard of a  Graphtec cutter changing force in the middle of cutting.  I own 2 Graphtecs. What type of vinyl are you using? What force are you using?  What happens when you raise the force? If the blade is set correctly, it would not be possible to cut thru the wax paper backing. 

I have never heard nor seen this issue before. Cutting Oracal 651 right now (have not even tried on my 751 or 951). Using 20 force right now which cuts... except the 2nd image. Changing some settings now to see if anything changes.

So here is where I stand right now. I upped the force to 30 and cut ABCDEFGHIJKLM at an 11" width. A thru E cut poorly. F cut good enough to weed easier. G thru K cut really well. L and M were horrible, cutting nearly through the backing. 30 is WAY too deep so I lowered it down to 25 now. So, I am getting from this experiment that the machine is cutting shallower as it moves from right to left. Apparently, I can only cut up to a 6" to 8" really well and anything beyond that gets a shallow cut depth. This has to be a machine issue, right?

Untitled-2.jpg

What I was thinking. Have the force set to 25 currently. Went ahead and started the test cut with the 3 triangles and square. Repeated the test across the entire length of the vinyl. Progressively got worse and worse as it moved to the left. The last set of three I couldn't even weed out the cut was so shallow. Off to Graphtec support now. Thanks for the help though.

One note to add, you said you have your blade depth set correctly, but then you said it cut nearly all the way through the backing paper on L and M. That says you do not have your blade depth set correctly. If you did, it would not be possible to cut into the backing paper like that.

That aside, it kind of sounds like you have an alignment problem, or a cutting strip problem. Hopefully tech support can help.

All fixed. Contacted customer support and they asked for some photos of the machine and the one of the cut vinyl to see what was happening. I decided to have one more go at it myself. I moved the blade to front position and everything works fine now. Blade depth is PERFECT. Cuts are PERFECT. Love the Graphtec!

4 hours ago, darcshadow said:

One note to add, you said you have your blade depth set correctly, but then you said it cut nearly all the way through the backing paper on L and M. That says you do not have your blade depth set correctly. If you did, it would not be possible to cut into the backing paper like that.

That aside, it kind of sounds like you have an alignment problem, or a cutting strip problem. Hopefully tech support can help.

Trust me, the blade was perfect. the machine was cutting lighter to deeper from left to right. Everything in the sweet spot which was the 7" to 2" would cut perfect. For some reason it would sink super deep in the last inch or two on the right and barely cut anything on the last 2 inches on the left. Weird. All fixed though.

39 minutes ago, lowlighthabit said:

Trust me, the blade was perfect. the machine was cutting lighter to deeper from left to right. Everything in the sweet spot which was the 7" to 2" would cut perfect. For some reason it would sink super deep in the last inch or two on the right and barely cut anything on the last 2 inches on the left. Weird. All fixed though.

I can't. If the blade exposure is set correctly it is physically impossible to cut through the backing. But if you've got things working for you again, great. What did you do to fix it?

• Like 1

darcshadow is correct on the blade exposure.  It is not possible to cut thru the wax paper backing, if blade depth is set perfect. No matter where it is on the cutting strip. 

I understand that on the blade exposure. But it would cut through.... not completely... more like around a curve, some letters (not all)... it was super strange. Never seen it before and hopefully will never see it again. Moving the blade to the forward position solved it though. Thanks for the helps guys and/or gals!

So you were cutting over the groove that is for perf cutting, instead of over the teflon cutting strip?...  Well, you never said that.  User manuals are a great tool for new cutters.  The user manual shows pictures and explains where the blade holder is placed for cutting over the teflon strip or perf cutting.  

• Like 1