Sign in to follow this  
HingaSPL

SC Plotter cuts partial letters

I've been cutting with my Creation for over 20 years with NO issues. Love the damn machine. A few years ago I ordered a SC Plotter set up. It cut great, but when it hit the edge of the vinyl it would come off track. Usually when I'm there when its cutting I can stop it from doing to much damage. But I had left the room a few times while it went off track and I think this time it screwed something up. Now when I cut fonts, no matter what kind of font or vector with alot of angles, it will only cut some angles and not others. I saw another thread mentioning the cutting strip, but this is every letter it does this. Anybody run into this issue? It frustrating, but at least I got my old Creation to cut with until I fix the SC or replace it. Any information very much appreciated. 

From what you describe, it's possible that the blade holder itself is damaged. The blade needs to rotate freely inside the bearing 360* in order to spin and reorient correctly while being dragged.

Try disassembling the holder & check for anything obviously visible, maybe replace the blade (add a drop of fine sewing-machine oil in the hole). Also, perhaps the retaining arm (swing arm) for the holder was itself cracked or otherwise damaged? I had an MH unit that happened to, the hairline crack was hardly noticable, but it was enough to mess up the action of the cuts (wobbled).

You want to do what you can to prevent the blade from going off the vinyl - for starters, you might want to adjust the design space in whichever program you are using, so that the working width matches the width of the vinyl you're using. If you have sufficiently sliced up the cutting strip, then that's something that might need to be replaced. like s&d suggested, remove the blade holder and open it up, and remove any debris that might be in there. you would be amazed at the amount of vinyl bits and garbage that can get into the tiny little hole that your blade rotates in. there have been often times where there's junk in mine, and that prevents the blade from freely rotating in the necessary directions.

keep us posted.