Sign in to follow this  
Goodwin

Squeegee - felt, plastic, wooden????

OK, I admint Im new to all this, but whats the deal with all these different squeegee's?

I've just done my first big cut and application, I used a liquid mixture that I done myself (washing up liquid and water), and an old credit card as a squeegee.

All seems to have gone well and looking to buy more vinyl based on feedback from my first job, the place Im buying from sell's loads of different squeegee's, do I buy one? which one and whats the advantage over others.

I use plastic 95% of the time. I have a felt one for when I need it. Wooden? I"ve never seen one,much yet used one.

• Like 1

I actually prefer the Teflon squeegees. They seem to glide much better no matter what Ap tape your using. A credit card in not what you should use especially applying wet. You did good getting that vinyl down wet with a credit card. ;D:) :)

So is the advantage of using a teflon squeegee that you can apply more pressure?

From my understanding... the teflon is for after the app tape is removed and you still need to squeegee air bubbles out, etc.

The normal squeegee would mark/scratch the vinyl.

The Teflon squeegee will also scratch the vinyl. It all depends on the manner of application, surface applied to, type of vinyl, backer and application tape.

Hi I use them all with out a dought over premask Teflon is great great presure for a wet app plastic is great but as for felt its great for a hurry but you can work most bubbles out with a paper towl

I have seen where some put the soft part of velcro over the end of their plastic squeegees to make it run smoother.

I just use the cheap plastic ones 99% of the time. On the rare occasion when I apply wet and have direct contact with the vinyl, I converted a hard plastic

squeegee to a felt squeegee by gluing some felt to one side of it to prevent scratching the vinyl. You can buy the felt at any crafts store or wal-mart.

I use UHMW plastic, my dad makes what he calls "sweeps" that he tells to aerospace and marine companies because nothing sticks to them, they use them for spreading resins and stuff like that.

he makes some ergonomic ones that I love, don't get that cramp in your thumb when doing a larger project. They're very strong but also soft so it won't damage your vinyl surface, but still gets the bubbles to move, and they keep a clean edge on them for a long time.

I use UHMW plastic, my dad makes what he calls "sweeps" that he tells to aerospace and marine companies because nothing sticks to them, they use them for spreading resins and stuff like that.

he makes some ergonomic ones that I love, don't get that cramp in your thumb when doing a larger project. They're very strong but also soft so it won't damage your vinyl surface, but still gets the bubbles to move, and they keep a clean edge on them for a long time.

We call UHWM "poor man's Teflon".