Sign in to follow this  
nicholas.chrapowicki

Printing on Vinyl

I am currently trying to print onto my oracle 751c, with a design jet 800. Is there anything specific that I need. Like different type of vinyl or ink? There is no paper loading option for vinyl, ive tried a few different options When I print onto it, it doesn't hold/dry well.

an aqueous based ink will never bite into or dry properly on a vinyl that is not specially coated for aqueous inks.  you need specially coated vinyl made for aqueous inks - and where that coating is applied to the vinyl is where the product usually fails after a year or so.  to properly print onto regular vinyl (even then should be made for printing on) use either a solvent, latex or thermo resin printer.

• Like 1

If you try to inkjet (or laserjet) with inappropriate media, you can potentially look for some streaking and smudging on some of the rollers that can take forever to to go away (if it does at all). It's not worth "trying" this kind of thing unless you're okay with replacing your printer. This doesn't just apply to trying to print on vinyl, it goes the same for some photo papers, over head projector clear sheets (yes, some people still utilize this old 'technology',  shrinky dink plastic, etc..