kainth.c.s

Roland old Model cutter: Help required

Hello everyone

I came across this fairly old model of Roland  24 inch vinyl cutter that I was trying to put to use. Its Roland CAMM 1 CM 24.  I have a couple of queries:

1. Can this cutter work with Flexi 10? If yes, has anyone got any link to find an appropriate driver for the cutter?

2. The person who used this cutter last was saying that an old version of windows is needed for the cutter to run. Does it need older than Windows 7 32 bit program?? Any inputs

3. Has this cutter also got servo motors for the axis as the newer version of Roland?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

received_1171371836956178.jpeg

received_663303174961013.jpeg

received_260958732826325.jpeg

Search for the user manual for it online. Just about every user manual is out there. . You can compare the pictures of the user manual to it.  The user manual should tell you a copyright date in it.   Copyright date is close to the date/age of the cutter.   If you have Flexi 10, see if the cutter is listed on it.  Search for the cutter online.  The specs will tell you whether it is servo or stepper.  

• Like 1

It probably does need an older computer to connect, because you don't have USB. That is either an LPT (parallel) port or DB9 serial, which are legacy outputs; today's computers don't have those ports anymore.

Do you already have Flexi 10?

I'll also suggest you can utilize SignBlazer, it contains the CM24 model in Cutter Setup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slice&dice said:

It probably does need an older computer to connect, because you don't have USB. That is either an LPT (parallel) port or DB9 serial, which are legacy outputs; today's computers don't have those ports anymore.

Do you already have Flexi 10?

I'll also suggest you can utilize SignBlazer, it contains the CM24 model in Cutter Setup.

I can grab a usb to serial port adapter or the cable suitable for that computer.

Yes I do have Flexi 10 starter version

I do not have signblazer but I do have Signcut. Will it support Windows 7? I mean will there be any aftermarket type of driver available by any chance that can support the cutter with windows 7 if I can;t find anything on Roland's site?

The only USB to serial  adapter guaranteed to work with vinyl cutter is a Tripplite Keyspan Adapter, with a null modem cable.  We mention it all the time on here.  I can use Flexistarter 10, on my XP computer, So that is not a problem.  The  Tripplite Keyspan will work on Windows 7,  and has it's own driver.  If the Roland is in in Flexistarter 10, then it will run the cutter.    Find the best price

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Keyspan-High-Speed-USA-19HS/dp/B0000VYJRY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=P6BIP9OD39SH&keywords=tripp+lite+keyspan+adapter&qid=1649652345&sprefix=tripplite+keyspan+adapter%2Caps%2C305&sr=8-1

• Like 1

Good afternoon

I have an old CM-24 roland cut plotter, it was working well but last night when I send a work to cut only cut extranger codes, 

I dont know what does mean and how can repair

R:PU1137<1689:PTO<268:PT1353<0:PTO<=268: PT=1353<0:PUO<0:PU1353    this is what cut 

thanks in advance for your help

error cm-24_2.jpeg

error cm-24.jpeg

Whoa! That's one of the strangest issues we've had in a while reported here.

It appears that circuitry on the CPU has gotten corrupted somehow. It's not taking the data and converting it correctly to instructions on what to plot, and instead is taking the data and reproducing that directly as output.

The coded instructions from your software come into the cutter/plotter as a variation of HPGL, and this old Roland is choking on the info.

https://www.isoplotec.co.jp/HPGL/eHPGL.htm

"The command of HP-GL consists of the command section of the alphabet of two characters, the parameter section, and the terminator section."

Did anything change? That's interesting that it's actually plotting the code. It's as if the part of the code that tells the cutter to follow the instructions is missing and it's essentially "printing" the instructions.