Bleh

How Small can it cut?

I currently use a Zing cutter but it's on it's last leg and I'm looking for a replacement. I cut very small stencils used in nail art and was wondering if the MH series is the way to go. Can it handle things that small and detailed?

278059919_647307516359239_3268521545037744974_n.jpg

Take a lot of setup and trial and error to set an MH to do that.

Graphtec would be the way to go with a lot less fiddling to get it right.

3 minutes ago, bikemike said:

Take a lot of setup and trial and error to set an MH to do that.

Graphtec would be the way to go with a lot less fiddling to get it right.

I would LOVE to get a Graphtec but $1000+ isn't really in the budget. I don't mind a little fiddling. Fine tuning the settings doesn't waste too much vinyl since they're so small.

And I was able to get a cricut and zing, which is an entry level machine, to cut them fine once I got the settings right. I'm just wondering if it's doable with the MH or even the SC.

I would not even contemplate doing such miniscule work with a low-end stepper-motor cutter.

16 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Have you looked into the Graphtec Silhouette/cameo series?  $500 and less. Check for different pricing, different models.  The Graphtec cameo Pro 4 is a 24" wide cutter. $500.

Thanks! I'll check those out. Is it similar to a cricut? I know a lot of people compare the two machines but I've only used a cricut and didn't like it much, especially their design software.

Graphtecs are NOT Cricuts.  Same quality cuts from a Graphtec.   People come here from using Graphtec Silhouette/ Cameos, and find that the MH or other value cutters do not come close to  the quality cuts of a Graphtec Silhouette/Cameo,  Next step up would be a Graphtec CE model.   I run a large Graphtec

2 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Graphtecs are NOT Cricuts.  Same quality cuts from a Graphtec.   People come here from using Graphtec Cameos, and find that the MH or other value cutters do not come close to  the quality cuts of a Graphtec Silhouette/Cameo,  Next step up would be a Graphtec CE model.   I run a large Graphtec

Good to know! I think I'll go with a sihlouette then. Thank you so much for the info.

Your welcome  That 24" has a lot of extra features.  Dual motors,  higher down force, cross cutter, can hold a 24" roll of vinyl and others, if you read the specs.  

One down side to some of the craft cutters like the Cameo is proprietary software. My sister had one, I forget which brand, and hated it because of the software. It would only work if it was online, she couldn't save designs locally, designs could not be exported to other formats, and I believe importing files was a bit annoying. The cutter itself was a great cutter but the software to use it was horrible.

Doing some reading.  If you upgrade that Silhouette Studio software to Business Edition for ($100),  You can import  and export  more file formats than what is on basic software. (below)  You can also purchase the Plug In ($40.00)  for Illustrator/Corel. softwares. 

• Import Ai/EPS/CDR files 
  • Export Options - Export SVG, PDF, JPG (V4.1)

On 4/10/2022 at 2:03 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

Your welcome  That 24" has a lot of extra features.  Dual motors,  higher down force, cross cutter, can hold a 24" roll of vinyl and others, if you read the specs.  

I just wanted to say thank you again! My Cameo arrived today and within a few hours I was able to get most of my designs cutting perfectly!

I don't think I'll need the software upgrade since I create most of my images in photoshop and save as PNG but thanks for the suggestion.

277451312_500096971615396_230131923311144621_n.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing your results and experience.

There you go, and you said that you couldn't afford a Graphtec.   Your welcome.  It looks great.  :D  Which version did you purchase? 

15 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

There you go, and you said that you couldn't afford a Graphtec.   Your welcome.  It looks great.  :D  Which version did you purchase? 

I had no idea they made the silhouette until you mentioned it. :lol:

I went with the cameo 4 pro.

That Cameo Pro 4 looks like it has some nice features on it, for a reasonable price.   I hope it serves your needs well. :D

On 4/14/2022 at 9:04 PM, Bleh said:

I just wanted to say thank you again! My Cameo arrived today and within a few hours I was able to get most of my designs cutting perfectly!

I don't think I'll need the software upgrade since I create most of my images in photoshop and save as PNG but thanks for the suggestion.

You might consider learning a vector design program. There is be a learning curve, but once you figure it out you will not have to convert from raster to vector which can cause a large loss of detail. You may also find various designs can be done faster/easier in a vector design program vs a raster editing program.

• Like 2

:laugh: less than a couple minutes.  I use needles, they come right out.  I use needles everyday, when I weed. Very handy, right there in my pin cushion.