Redslaya

SC2 cuts shallow at center of machine

I have a 53" SC2 cutter i purchased winter of 2020. Recently, as in the past few months, it appears to not be cutting fully the closer you move towards the middle of the machine. about the first 15"-18" cuts and weeds fine but as you move past that it is not cutting the vinyl fully leading to massive issues weeding. I have swapped blades, reset depth, reinstalled drivers, and adjusted pressure. If i adjust the blade/pressure to cut fully at the middle of the machine it cuts into the backing at the start. any ideas? this is making working with this machine extremely frustrating.

Two quick suggestions ---    1. Replace the nylon cutting strip    2. Open the left side of the machine (remove the cover where the power plug is) and adjust the tension of the carriage belt SLIGHTLY. It may need to be loosened or tightened, not sure which. Try one direction, see if it worked, and if not, try the other direction --

• Like 1

Replaced the cutting strip and adjusted the tensioner in both directions. No change in behavior - still cuts fine at the ends of the machine and too shallow in the middle.

First thing is to get your blade depth set correctly. Too many wrong instructions out there, saying use a credit card of post it notes. This is just too much blade exposed out of the blade holder.  How did you set your blade depth?  Too much blade exposed with just skip over the vinyl. This is the correct way.   Blade depth must be correct before making other settings like Force or blade offset. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. Regular sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade. When you think the blade is so far in the blade holder, that you think it would not even cut, that is probably correct. 

Blade depth is set properly. it barely scratches the backing, without cutting it, on the ends of the machine leading to a great cut. When set that way, the middle part of the machine is just scoring the vinyl without cutting through it leading to tearing when trying to weed. If i adjust it so it cuts properly at the center of the machine, the blade cuts into the backing paper at the ends. Its like the machine is warped or bowed, not that i have ever put weight on it, in the middle.

How far does the blade stick out of the blade holder?  That is the question. Can you just barely feel and see it?   If the blade is set correctly, it cannot cut thru the wax paper backing. 

You should not even be able to see or feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. I can sure see it.  You use the force of the cutter to cut with. When you think that blade is so far in the blade holder that you think it would not even cut, that is probably about correct. Then use the force of the machine to cut with.   Also make sure there is not dust or dirt in the rail raising the carriage head up in that area. 

With the blade so far in that you think it would not even cut.  With your hand holding the blade holder firmly, cut across a scrap piece of vinyl. It should only cut the vinyl and barely a mark in the wax paper backing.   It is not possible to cut thru the wax paper backing if set correctly, as the blade depth/exposed blade is less then the vinyl thickness,/wax paper backing. as it should be.  You only cut with the very tip of the blade. 

With what you are describing and it is warped, at the most it is around .002". Good luck measuring that.

Set your blade as per Skeeters directions, and set your pressure as per trial and error.

The blade holder does not bottom out when down. It only goes down to the vinyl with the pressure you have set. There is more travel and should follow the vinyl along the full width of the machine.

Draw up a rectangle about an inch shorter than the width of your vinyl and only about 1/8 or an inch high for test cuts to set your pressure.

That will save on the scrap from setting the pressure.

I have spent the past few days messing with blade depth, pressure etc. no matter what i adjust or how i adjust it if i want it to cut enough in the middle of the machine it cuts into the backing paper on the end. If there was a way to progressively add pressure the further left the head goes that would solve the problem. but alas that is not an option.

So you state you have a 53" cutter.  If you are mostly using 24" or less width vinyl. Then only use the middle of the cutter.   Don't start on the right side that is low. Or which ever side is low.   Set your blade depth  and force to the vinyl in the middle of the cutter. Stay away from putting your vinyl the first 12"-18 " from the right side of the cutter or even more, depending on how wide your vinyl is.   Or buy a new cutter.