Shortstuff

Help with blade adjustment

For the most part my SC2 works just fine however once in a while I'll get a little bit of pulling of very detailed vinyl off the backer when cutting.  It seems to happen more so with both the white and cream Oracle 651.  I read other posts on here that suggest my blade is sticking out too far from the blade holder but if you look at the picture below it almost looks like the blade needs to come out of the holder just a tiny bit because it looks like the holder is rubbing on the vinyl leaving the darker marks you can see in the picture below.  I did remove the blade holder and there were very small pieces of vinyl in and around the blade.

Yes I know that perhaps I should not be trying to get too detailed with my cutter so I do increase the size of my graphics and round off every corner (adjust my nodes).  Now I'm wondering if I should purchase something like a Cricut or a Silhouette but I don't know if either of those would be able to cut the finer details I need better than my SC2.  Do any of you have any experience with either of those machines that could tell me if they might be better?

I think I'm going to adjust the blade to stick out just a tiny bit more from the holder.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3545.JPG

Start with a new blade,  you may have broken the tip off of that one. Cut slower for detailed designs.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. Regular sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade. When you think the blade is so far in the blade holder, that you think it would not even cut, that is probably correct. 

Thanks for all the tips so far.  I know the blade is 45° so I'll order a couple of new ones.  As far as speed, I am only cutting at 100 and my pressure is between 65 and 75.

I wonder if you need to lower the pressure. You shouldn't be getting black marks on the vinyl like that.