Brian63

20 Oz Skinny Tumblers

Just wanted to say hello and that I'm a newbie to the forum. I have been sublimating items for over a year now and i decided to purchase a 20 Oz tumbler heat press (Craft Express). I'm struggling to find my sweet spot on time and temps. I have tried medium pressure and light pressure. Temp ranges from 365 - 356, and times from 75 seconds to 60 seconds while rotating the tumbler to get a full press. I get good color saturation (Hippo paper) but I'm getting tape transfer marks and strange imprints on the mugs. I also cover the tumblers with butcher paper before i press them. Every time I press a tumbler I feel like I'm burning up a ten dollar bill. Tumblers were bought through a local craft store so i don't know the brand name. I have included some pics for your viewing pleasure.  Any suggestions, tips or hints that will bring me to that sweet spot will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

IMG_5022.jpg

IMG_5023.jpg

I don't sublimate, but I saw on youtube videos of people doing 20 oz tumblers with shrink wrap and putting in the ovens.  I have read on here, that people who do cups etc. use cactus wraps and oven.  Too many people have problems with those presses having even heat. Using shrink wrap doesn't have that kind of pressure like a press.  Only a hand full of people answer questions on here.  I have not seen anyone doing 20 oz tumblers. Very little sublimation at all.  We mostly cut sign vinyl.   The video I watched was from Liberty Graphic Designs.  He had some great tips. Many, many videos on youtube for 20 0z tumblers

Thanks for the reply. I also cut vinyl but my passion is sublimation. Way too many videos on youtube. Too many differences with each one. Thanks again.

I too don't know anything about sublimation, but have you tried pre heating the entire cup? Metal tumblers are great a dissipating heat and from what I've picked up from the forums even heat and pressure seem to be critical. I know for powder coating pre-heating the part can help get a good bond.

Firstly, are you sure that the Tumblers are coated with a polyester coating for sublimation? I do them in a dedicated convection oven, using shrink wrap from Coastal. You also may want to bump up the time in the press. It takes about 6 minutes in a convection oven. 

• Like 2

Yes they are made for sublimation. I have not tried preheating the mugs yet! I guess I'm going to try some more time/temp combos and see if it changes anything. I'm trying to stay away from doing them in a oven. The wife is already past the point of being tolerant. I already have three different mug press, two heat presses and two printers. i think she will finally lose it if I buy an oven. Thanks for the replies!! It is very much appreciated!!!

Look around for used ones. I bought one for powder coating for like $20. Spent another $5 or so for a 220V plug to put on it, and $40 to put a new 22V plug in my garage.

I don't recall ever reading on here, is sublimation in an oven "toxix" for the oven? Can the oven still be used for food? Power Coating the answer is no, but sublimation might be "cleaner".

No, you should not use the oven that you use to cook food in, get a small tabletop convection oven.