Sign in to follow this  
QualeT Graphics

Application Bubbles

Hello,

I am slowly try to do the layered graphics. What are some better steps that I can take to get rid of this problem?

Is there any fix to getting the bubbles out?

Thanks

IMG_0564.jpg

Search bubbles in the search bar,  It has been addressed many, many times.  There are many reasons for your problem. Plus many answers for your problem already. The search bar helps you find  your answer on your own time.  That is why this is such a great forum. There is years of experience left in these threads and posts from previous problems, just like yours, bubbles.   Problems solved already. 

• Like 1

It's a 2-color layout, I can understand getting accidental bubbles in the top layer, but how did you manage to get bubbles in the bottom layer too? The bottom layer is never lifted from the backing.

As previously suggested, did you troll YouTube to find other videos on how to layer vinyl? Because that's one of the fastest ways up this learning curve.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, haumana said:

It's a 2-color layout, I can understand getting accidental bubbles in the top layer, but how did you manage to get bubbles in the bottom layer too? The bottom layer is never lifted from the backing.

As previously suggested, did you troll YouTube to find other videos on how to layer vinyl? Because that's one of the fastest ways up this learning curve.

I started with the top layer which is red, then applied the top layer (red) to the middle layer (black), then red and black to the bottom layer (red).

I did not peel the backing from the (red) bottom layer. It only appears that the middle and top layer have the bubbles.

Thanks

like this just make 3 layers with 3 sets of registration marks -  I would just change the top layer registration marks to another color so it is easier to follow along - other than that I think you just didn't work it down a little at a time while you peeled the backing - it takes practice

• Like 1

I would just do this in 2-layers, black on red, or vice versa, since the elements seem to crossover a bit. Just make sure you registration marks are on point when layering.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, haumana said:

I would just do this in 2-layers, black on red, or vice versa, since the elements seem to crossover a bit. Just make sure you registration marks are on point when layering.

Hey Bud,

Got it figured out. There a few issues that I am sure you could point out, alignment issues etc but that’s my next step to figure out. Thanks again for the help.

66E9F758-1D36-4878-B5E3-18263B09310C.jpeg

Paper tape is better IMO. I know you can't see through it to layer but overall application success is better. That's a large graphic so there will probably end up having some bubbles trying to get it stacked prior to application and then potentially along the edges where the two layers meet there often ends up a small line or rill of bubbles following that edge. If you have a simple application surface like a sign you can just install it in two layers but some things like race car bodies make that really hard to do. Good squeegee control is the key to reduce bubbles. Again, that is hard to employ when layering pre-install but still relevant. Search videos of actual pro's doing it, they make it look easy but there is a lot of skill you don't see if you aren't watching closely. You can use a pin to puncture and then deflate bubbles but if there are a lot it turns into a lot of work. If this is for a client it looks unprofessional. If it's for your own use the small bubbles will often disappear over time. My first big job was on my own suburban window and one side had a whole bunch of tiny bubbles because I sucked at the squeegee. A few weeks later they were gone from the heat and cool of day to night expansion and contraction. In my early days I had a few go a little rough. I made an excuse and told them if they didn't go away in 30 or so days I would replace the logo. They never needed to but I don't think I came across as a very experienced installer. I watched a lot and read articles about proper installation and things got better with time and practice. 

• Like 1