Sign in to follow this  
jjscruff

Strange and poor cutting suddenly on Graphtec CE6000-60

Had this workhorse of a cutter for years and its been great. Never had to mess with settings or do any maintenance
But suddenly its not cutting deeply or finishing corners

Attached photo shows some kanji characters cut on metallic silver vinyl (the problem is on all vinyl types)
If i try and weed this vinyl it doesn't come away easily as its not cut deeply/sharply enough.

Strangely there is a sort of shadow on the vinyl too, where the cut shape is repeated. Its not cut twice but there is a duplicate impression of the shape. which seems odd

Offset is 0
Blade barely pokes out of holder
I've increase force up to 14 but doesn't seem to make much difference
I've tried blades from 3 different manufacturers and replaced the cutting strip.
I've also removed the carriage unit, blown out any dust popped some oil in there

Any other suggestions? thanks a lot :)

jap.jpg

How about your test cuts directly from the TEST feature on the cutter...Are they correct? No cutting software is involved with those?   If so, try a different cutting software.  

This is how you set your blade depth correctly.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. Regular sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade. When you think the blade is so far in the blade holder, that you think it would not even cut, that is probably correct. 

• Like 1

have you tried replacing the blade holder?  along with skeeters instructions - if this unit has been rode hard then it may be time for a blade holder

i tried a test today and none of them weeding great. the problem seems to be more about the force than offset.
The one with most force cut the best.
i don't think its a software issue

Any ideas what the shadow is on the cut?
this is new and doesn't look right. could the whole blade holder be pressing against the vinyl during the cut?

The only thing left is to change the blade holder which i will do but i am not confident it will be the solution

Get down eye level with the bottom of the blade holder and vinyl, and watch it cutting.  You can see if the blade holder is touching the vinyl. Or dragging on the vinyl. If so, add a little more blade out of the blade holder.  Look at your teflon cutting strip and make sure it is not scratched and gouged up. If so, replace it. 

Make sure the cap is screwed tight on your blade holder.  Make sure the flange is holding down the blade holder correctly. 

I have only seen this once - but I had a blade holder that had cracked at the top of the threads where the blue cap tightens up to - rare but a possibility - I found it by holding the blade holder and pressing sideways on the the blue cap