Sign in to follow this  
haumana

Preferred app tape?

I'm in need of picking up some (most likely 24") app tape. My brother sold a job, and after working on the graphic layout, the most efficient layout has me doing the job on 24" vinyl. Not super happy, but cost wise, there's less wasted vinyl going this router instead of going with 15" vinyl. That being said, I'll be shipping in some 751, just as soon as they can choose the right color blue they want.

Just wanted to know what y'all's preference is for app tape, and why? I've used Oracal MT and RTape medium tack, with each I got mixed results in tack, and peel. I'm hoping to find something a bit more consistent.

TIA!

I have been using Main paper tape for years.  Perfectear.   I started with R-tape, I got a roll of Main  and never looked back.  I just like the way feels and  rolls out out better.  I get mine from a dealer in Michigan.  But UScutter sells it also.   Company called Nekoosa   owns it now. 

https://uscutter.com/shop/?search_query=perfectear

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That being said, would it better to go medium tack, or high tack, if the customer hangs on to the decals for a while. I have no idea how they are distributing the decals, so there might be some shelf time after the final decals are delivered to them.

When I use Oratape medium, on the roll, it only gets stickier and stickier as it gets older, because I don't have enough volume to go through rolls on a regular basis. So once those tapes get too ornery for me to use, it goes downstairs and is repurposed as masking/mock-up tape for my laser engravings.

I use both,   but I don't see the decals after they are shipped..I don't know how they hold up for long term.  I would guess my buyers apply them right away.   But I have never had complaints.   All of my products are cut and shipped right away at purchase. .  I don't have inventory.  

Thanks. I don't plan on holding on to them. It's just going to be a quick as possible turnaround time for me, then all 300 decals to the customer. I'm not sure how long it's going to sit on their shelves. Nothing I can do about that though. Sometimes I wish I had more business to turnover my inventory faster, but then I think it would feel more like a regular job and might suck all the fun out of it for me :lol:  Clearly I've been self-employed way too long. Hahaha.

• Like 2

I tend to favor higher tack. There isn't many things more frustrating than trying to do an install and having some of the letters stay on the carrier. Or worse PART of a letter and having it get stretched or ruined.  If they are sizeable they will be hinging and installing in place somewhere. 751 transfers pretty good but I still sometimes fight an odd peice here and there. Maybe a greasy hand print on my part when weeding who knows. 

That being said, if it's going on interiror walls all bets are off. LOL

• Like 2

Good to know. I cut a few sample decals for them, just so they can double check to see if they want to run with the color they initially chose, and once I have either a confirmation on the chosen color, I'll be putting in my order. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed that I can get the vinyl fast enough to give myself some time and not be in a complete rush to finish the job. The one and only store that sells vinyl locally only two 10-yard rolls. The only 751 50-yard rolls they carry are white, black, and red; all other colors are in 10-yard rolls, and they only two in stock. That's not even enough vinyl to put a dent in the order. -_-

• Like 2