Sign in to follow this  
The Flaming Eyeball

SC2 - not advancing, not connecting, driver updates?

I have an SC2 that I've been using successfully for a couple years now. But a few issues have started coming up lately.

1. I have the box checked to 'Advance After Plot', but the cutter no longer does this. It used to advance the perfect amount to use the cutting slot, now I have to do it manually. Any guesses?

2. If I don't use the cutter for a time and turn it off, when I turn it back on, I can hear the sound for a device connecting, but the software will not send to the SC2 when I click 'Cut Now'. Just sits there. I usually have to restart the computer, not just the software to get it to cut.

3. Are there any driver updates for the SC2?

Have you used the cable for years also?  Try a new cable.  Always best to put a value cutter on a serial cable or a Tripp-lite Keyspan adapter/ your null modem cable ,for the best communication. It's been stated 100's of times on here.   Tripp-lite is the brand name. That cutter has a cheap Chinese chip set in it, NOT True USB like higher end cutters. 

15 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Have you used the cable for years also?  Try a new cable.  Always best to put a value cutter on a serial cable or a Tripp-lite Keyspan adapter/ your null modem cable ,for the best communication. It's been stated 100's of times on here.   Tripp-lite is the brand name. That cutter has a cheap Chinese chip set in it, NOT True USB like higher end cutters. 

So this answers one question. Any idea about the others?

1 hour ago, The Flaming Eyeball said:

So this answers one question. Any idea about the others?

It's all about communicating between the computer and the vinyl cutter. That would be your cable. Did you put it on a Tripplite Keyspan Adapter/ and null modem cable?  Tripp-lite has it's own driver.  You said you could hear it connecting, and disconnecting. If your cutter is not getting all of the communication from your software. It is not going to preform those features.  This is a recent answer,  same cutter from a OP with communication problems. Posted Dec 7th, 2021.  His cutter was losing steps while contour cutting, losing position. That is communication between the computer and cutter. 

new cable.JPG

Process of elimination. Try the cable(s) first. You don't want to just change settings and swap cables out without trying them one at a time. USB and serial cables can go bad, so can the keyspan.

Did the OS update?
Did the software update?
What OS are you using?
How are you currently connected from computer to cutter?
Are you running it through a hub/splitter/switch?

Besides turning the computer and cutter on and off, what else have you tried? Skeeter offered up info about a cable replacement, because she has years of experience, and when things like this happen, that's the first step she would try for troubleshooting. Heck, the would be the first step that most of us would try to troubleshoot.

• Like 1