nickweb

CE5000 first cut issue on lines - not exact

Hey folks - long time viewer, first time asker.

I have a CE5000-60 which has been working with no issues. All of a sudden I started getting cuts which weren’t pulling from the backing easily - it looks like one part of a cut isn’t being complete (see the S for an example). I figured it was a dull blade so replaced it but it kept happening. I now have a feeling it’s related to where the cuts start and the blade not facing the right direction. My test cuts below all show a similar issue at the bottom right of the triangle. Every other bit is fine. 

The S is a bit exaggerated as I pulled the vinyl and its ripped a bit, but its happened because the cut wasn't clean. I''ve never had this issue in the year I've owned it.

I then thought it might be the blade holder seeing as it’s original so I’ve changed that to a different blade holder (and blade) but the issue is still there, exactly the same as before. 

The cutting strip is in an ok condition, but this happens all the way along (including the cutting strip but with no issues). 

Any ideas on what’s causing this? Nothing seems loose on the device itself, everything is quite sturdy  - I've checked the carriage etc.

The only thing I can think of that happened near to this happening (but sure it started before but can’t remember) is I had to use a carrier mat for a smaller piece of vinyl I had to cut after printing on A4 - but I don’t know if I’m just blaming that (causation≠correlation and all that). 

Thanks for any help!

Nick

test.jpg

s.jpg

No mention how you have set your blade depth,  that must be correct first. Too many people see to use a credit card or post it notes, and this is just wrong. It it too much blade exposed out of the blade holder. And blade offset is ZERO on a Graphtec.   Also, the blade should spin freely in the blade holder. A drop or 2 of thin light oil should be used in the holder. The info below is posted hundreds and hundreds of times on this forum. The age of vinyl also can create problems, if it is old and brittle. Vinyl does have a shelf life. No mention what brand of vinyl. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. Regular sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade. When you think the blade is so far in the blade holder, that you think it would not even cut, that is probably correct.