cjohnston24

Graphtec Studio Won't Import on New Mac

Hi all - Got a new mac (Big Sur 11.6.1) and downloaded Graphtec Studio 3.0.35. It will not let me open/import basically any files, JPG, PNG, etc... When I go to file>open, all files are grayed out. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling... no luck. Any help will be greatly appreciated... especially at this time of year! Thank you

If you are sure that they are compatible, then contact Graphtec tech support.  Very few Mac users here, and I don't know of anyone using Graphtec Studio.  Only a hand full of volunteers here to answer questions. Mostly all Windows users for cutting. 

Hi Mz Skeeter... Thanks for your reply. I have since found a work around solution. I can drag and drop any images into Graphtec Studio to make it work. Just find it very odd I can't File>Open them the same way I did on my last Mac. Didn't know if it was something simple I was overlooking.

I appreciate your input.

• Like 1

It would have been well worth it, to get on a Windows PC, just to get the Graphtec Pro Studio, Well worth over $1K.  Pretty much like Flexisignpro with out the RIP.   They were giving licenses with those new cutters, when purchased new. 

Interesting! I did purchase it new and I'm a Windows girl myself, but my partner gets a new Macbook Air every few years through work that includes the full Adobe CC Suite, so was hard to justify the purchase of another computer. Something to think about though!

I only buy used laptops anymore.  I still cut on an OLD XP 2006 Toshiba laptop with my Graphtec.  But I did buy a used Windows 7 and installed windows 10 on it.  I put Graphtec Pro Studio on it.  I buy laptops at $100 or less on Ebay.   I already have Flexidesigner 10.5 so that is my design software.   Several Mac people have picked up a Windows computer to cut with,  and design on their Mac.   If you still have your license, you can use it.  When you go to this page. It is right under where it says DOWNLOAD SOFTWARE

https://www.graphtecamerica.com/software

I don't know the software or macs, but a lot of software you have to Import images rather than open, check for an import option in the program. The Open often only open's files native to the program. For example, in Vinyl Master if you go to open, you can only open vinyl Master created projects. If you want any other file type you have to import it, and you have to have a document already open to import the image into.

• Like 1

I have to honestly say that I've not tried to import a raster image into the Graphtec software for Mac. I found it useless since I it'll only cut vectors.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, darcshadow said:

I don't know the software or macs, but a lot of software you have to Import images rather than open, check for an import option in the program. The Open often only open's files native to the program. For example, in Vinyl Master if you go to open, you can only open vinyl Master created projects. If you want any other file type you have to import it, and you have to have a document already open to import the image into.

I've tried to look for import, no luck. It's the same program I've been using for years and I've always been able to file>open. I'm thinking it's a program bug with the new MacOs. Oh well, I can continue the drag and drop method. No biggie. Thanks for your input.

21 minutes ago, haumana said:

I have to honestly say that I've not tried to import a raster image into the Graphtec software for Mac. I found it useless since I it'll only cut vectors.

When you import a raster image, you can use the image trace option to turn it into a vector. Doesn't always come out perfect, especially with text, but gives a good place to start.

57 minutes ago, cjohnston24 said:

When you import a raster image, you can use the image trace option to turn it into a vector. Doesn't always come out perfect, especially with text, but gives a good place to start.

I vectorize using different software. I can't say that I've ever used the Graphtec software to do so. Nice to know that it can though. How about that, I just learned something today :P.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 12:42 PM, cjohnston24 said:

Hi all - Got a new mac (Big Sur 11.6.1) and downloaded Graphtec Studio 3.0.35. It will not let me open/import basically any files, JPG, PNG, etc... When I go to file>open, all files are grayed out. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling... no luck. Any help will be greatly appreciated... especially at this time of year! Thank you

Send a trouble ticket to Graphtec. I just tested out Graphtec Studio 3.0.35gs on my M1 (Big Sur 11.4), and it allowed me to both open, and import (merge) a .png file. The .jpg files were greyed out, and I don't even think I have an old .bmp or .tif file to try to open/import.

• Like 1