rlfii76f

Jsi-30 communication problems

Hello, I am hoping to get some help. I purchased this cutter new in 2006. The CPU i used it with crashed and with life happening I put the cutter in storage. I have since set it back up and I am trying to use it with a laptop that runs windows 7 using signblazer or winpcsign software. The cutter has a db25 port and I am trying to use a cable that converts that to usb. I have tried a couple different configuration with no luck. An Aten USB to serial db 9 with an adapter from db9 to db25. The second I have tried was a sabrient USB to Db25 female with a male to male adapter to connect to the cuttet. The cutter turns on and everything works as it should until I try to send a cut job, but cutter doesn't receive it. I believe it is cable/driver issue. Any suggestions appreciated.

Edited by rlfii76f

It's old legacy (obsolete) db25 technology.  (not db24, BTW) --  You'll need some luck to get that working through USB (the pins all have to be configured right through the adapter/cables).

By the way, your JSI-30 machine will NEVER print. Drop that terminology from your vocabulary.

Corrected the db25 error. Thanks for pointing that out. If you have any suggestions on how to get the laptop to communicate with the cutter it would be appreciated. I know it is older but when I put it away it worked perfectly for what I did with it. I believe it will still get what I am wanting to do with it done if I can figure out the communication issue.

8 hours ago, rlfii76f said:

Hello, I am hoping to get some help. I purchased this cutter new in 2006. The CPU i used it with crashed and with life happening I put the cutter in storage. I have since set it back up and I am trying to use it with a laptop that runs windows 7 using signblazer or winpcsign software. The cutter has a db25 port and I am trying to use a cable that converts that to usb. I have tried a couple different configuration with no luck. An Aten USB to serial db 9 with an adapter from db9 to db25. The second I have tried was a sabrient USB to Db25 female with a male to male adapter to connect to the printer. The cutter turns on and everything works as it should until I try to send a print job, but cutter doesn't receive it. I believe it is cable/driver issue. Any suggestions appreciated.

if you ever get a plotter to print I will be amazed - what many have found is the cheaper chipsets in low end serial to usb converters are not reliable and the reason you see all thru the forum the suggestion of the tripplite keyspan on - 

OK, let's start again.

1. You have an older cutter with a "parallel" type port --- that is what a DB25 connector is, for all intents and purposes.

2. what you are attempting to do looks like THIS ---  F1238049-01?pgw=1

3. Getting all of this configuration to work is a shot in the dark, and unlikely can we troubleshoot from where we sit.

4. The best thing for you to do, if you want more assistance, is to present us with screenshots of your SignBlazer Cutter Setup window, showing how the OUTPUT DEVICE drop-down appears, and what choices are presented. Basically, you are going to have to fiddle with Windows Ports (Device Manager) and obtain the proper configuration for the above pictured connection. Keep in mind that SignBlazer will not permit anything beyond Com4.

5. Best of luck, keep us posted in your endeavors!

3 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

if you ever get a plotter to print I will be amazed - what many have found is the cheaper chipsets in low end serial to usb converters are not reliable and the reason you see all thru the forum the suggestion of the tripplite keyspan on - 

I just reread your response and seen the tripplite keyspan cable suggestion. I just ordered one. I will try that. Thank you

• Like 1

Are you plugging your adapter directly into the plotter? That could be a problem as well. Most plotters that use the DB9 serial connector also require a null modem cable. You may need the same in a DB25 version.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slice&dice said:

OK, let's start again.

1. You have an older cutter with a "parallel" type port --- that is what a DB25 connector is, for all intents and purposes.

2. what you are attempting to do looks like THIS ---  F1238049-01?pgw=1

3. Getting all of this configuration to work is a shot in the dark, and unlikely can we troubleshoot from where we sit.

4. The best thing for you to do, if you want more assistance, is to present us with screenshots of your SignBlazer Cutter Setup window, showing how the OUTPUT DEVICE drop-down appears, and what choices are presented. Basically, you are going to have to fiddle with Windows Ports (Device Manager) and obtain the proper configuration for the above pictured connection. Keep in mind that SignBlazer will not permit anything beyond Com4.

5. Best of luck, keep us posted in your endeavors!

Thank you. My current setup looks like the picture you posted but I ordered the one that was mentioned above with the hopes of the actual driver being comes with it will bridge the gap. I will post an update in a couple days. Thanks again.

4 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Are you plugging your adapter directly into the plotter? That could be a problem as well. Most plotters that use the DB9 serial connector also require a null modem cable. You may need the same in a DB25 version.

good catch on the null modem cable - sometimes I miss the simplest things 

On 12/8/2021 at 11:52 AM, darcshadow said:

Thank you!! This was the problem. It is working now. Thanks again!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1