Smarter Everyday

What cutter do I need?

I need to a cutter to cut 8 pieces from an A4 300 GSM matt gloss card.

I've attached a dummy of what I want. I want to cut out the rectangles in my graphic.

The dotted lines show where I would like to have creasing. The red lines show a cut through the middle.

Is it possible to get creasing? I can live without creasing.

What machine should I consider?

I've seen a few videos on Youtube. Using something like a Cricut takes minutes to cut out simple things in card!

I want done in like 10 seconds ;)

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Template 2.png

cutters cut, no creasing. if what's pretty much the purpose of what you're looking for - stick with a cricut.

• Like 1

Cutting is OK. I can get the creasing done before cutting.

1. Will I have any issues cutting matt laminate card?

2. How long would it take to cut what I have shown?

(Don't worry about creasing. Just cutting will be OK.)

Are there machines faster than a Cricut? I was also looking at a Silhouette Cameo. Is that any good?

I've never owned a cutter. My only purpose will be to cut out card similar to my graphic.

EDIT an alternative to creasing would be perforating - like cutting with small gaps in between. Would this make the whole operation take much longer?

Thanks.

perforating is a feature on some high-end cutters, which is exponentially more expensive than a cricut or cameo.

like the cricut, if your intent is to cut paper/card stock, you will need a carrier mat.

check out the buying guide and it'll give you an idea of what the different cutters are capable of.

https://uscutter.com/buying-guides

what's your budget for a machine?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I believe the prizmcut is marketed as scoring cardstock - might be a good fit 

that's a nice feature.

If all you are doing are simple rectangles, and you want it done fast, get a paper cutter and do it by hand.

Thanks for the replies guys.

$1000 budget? No problem. (But that would be the limit.)

YES: all I need to do is cut rectangles.

Do it by hand is an option. But I'm looking to do at scale - need to get 10,000's of pieces done.

So looking for options to consider. I looked at die cut presses as well. But don't think it's an option.

I still think by hand would be easier and faster than loading a cutter 10,000 times. And if you're cutting all the way through cardstock you'll need a matt to attach the paper to to hold it while it's being cut.

A vinyl cutter can do what you're asking, but it's not what they are designed for and I don't believe it will save you any time or money. Since you are only doing rectangles, you could probably build your own die pretty easily and wouldn't take much to build a simple hinge press.

Only $1000 is not going to get you there.  But a Graphtec Flatbed, or Graphtec FC unit could do it.  It also has a creasing tool. 

If you are involved with a project that requires 10,000 pieces, I have no doubt that sending this to an outside production company would be preferable. (is that 10,000 rectangles, total, = 1250 sheets x 8,  or 10,000 sheets x 8 rectangles per = 80,000 ?)

• Like 1

10,000 rectangles. I would take it to a print or copy shop and have them hydraulically cut them.

• Like 1

Graphtec does offer some creasing tools for their cutters - an FC8000/8600/9000 would definitely do the job.

But even used you're looking at 1500 on the cheapest end, and up.... for a good, newer light use machine 2-3k