darcshadow

Windows 10 Area Test with MH

Well I've done it now. I've upgraded to Windows 10. Still have windows 7 to fall back on but trying to make 10 work for me. I have ran into an odd issue, when doing an area test before sending the design to the cutter will go about half way the length of the material loaded specified then drop the blade and slow down for the second half. Picks the blade up goes back to the origin and does the same thing the width of the material. I rarely ever did the area test before and was only doing it now because the cutter wasn't responding at first.

Anyone else ever see this sort of behavior?

I'm using a direct serial port connection.

A second oddity, I can do two cuts back to back. I know it's advisable to power cycle the cutter after each cut to clear the memory, but I've never had to do that in the past. Now with Win 10 when I try to do a second cut I just get a random zig zag cut. This seems like a software issue to me, like the first cut didn't terminate it's communications with the cutter correctly so when the second cut starts, it's off in the weeds. Strange.

Something else I've noticed, when I send a job to the cutter I get a prompt to confirm that I want to cut now. I never got such a prompt with Windows 7.

Got a new computer, mainly for playing games, and it came with 10. Tried to go to 11 but couldn't find anyplace to download it. Apparently it's a pushed update and I just have to wait for them to push it to me.

I do still have the old computer and will keep it around as a back up.

You should be able to do a Windows update to trigger the  upgrade, or check the MS website, and that should step you through grabbing Win11.

I am not looking forward to anything upgrading on stuff that I have working now :P

35 minutes ago, haumana said:

You should be able to do a Windows update to trigger the  upgrade, or check the MS website, and that should step you through grabbing Win11.

I am not looking forward to anything upgrading on stuff that I have working now :P

Yeah, tried that. From what I can find there's no way to trigger the update yourself. I was hoping I could and wanted to install 11 from the start and skip over 10 all together but seems like I'm stuck with it for awhile.

1 hour ago, darcshadow said:

Yeah, tried that. From what I can find there's no way to trigger the update yourself. I was hoping I could and wanted to install 11 from the start and skip over 10 all together but seems like I'm stuck with it for awhile.

Just updated the old printer computer that hadn’t been turned on in 4 months and after all the updates it directed me to the pc health app that checks to see if it could be upgraded to win 11 ,   It doesn’t meet the standards but gather design computer has been cranking along with no hiccups at all on win 11.  Unfortunately I don’t have a my to test on the design computer  

Did it fail the test for the tpm requirement?  Mine did the first time i ran it. There is a setting that n the bios on newer motherboards that you can turn on so you’ll  pass that test. 

Can’t downgrade this computer to 7. I need 10 or better to play Age of Empires 4. :)

5 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

Did it fail the test for the tpm requirement?  Mine did the first time i ran it. There is a setting that n the bios on newer motherboards that you can turn on so you’ll  pass that test. 

Can’t downgrade this computer to 7. I need 10 or better to play Age of Empires 4. :)

actually tpm AND processor - (AMD Athlon X4 860K - Athlon X4 Kaveri Quad-Core 3.7 GHz Socket FM2+ 95W Desktop Processor (BLACK EDITION) which I would think should run about anything - the design computer I upgraded the processor to one with tpm in the processor (AMD Ryzen 7 3rd Gen - RYZEN 7 3700X Matisse (Zen 2) 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W)
since selling the printer the computer that served the printer is used mainly for backup and scanning old photos - along with when I push the adult kids in there off my design computer that everyone gravitates to.

I heard that windows 11 doesn't play nice with AMD processors and that it runs noticeable slower than on a comparable intel chip. So just another reason not to be in a hurry to go to 11.

4 hours ago, darcshadow said:

I heard that windows 11 doesn't play nice with AMD processors and that it runs noticeable slower than on a comparable intel chip. So just another reason not to be in a hurry to go to 11.

Hard to notice on this machine, seems fast but none of my other computers have 64gb ram . . .  So far I like it 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.