Sign in to follow this  
osrbikes

whats the best vinyl to cut

new to this stuff-- got some vinyl off ebay-- when i try to week some small things they want to slide around on the backing paper-- any cure or is the vinyl just cheap? 

what kind is best to buy?

Thanks

I'm sure there are a lot of personal preferences out there.  I have tried a lot of different kinds...and have come to like Oracal brand the best (especially for the smaller details).  I use Oracal 651, mostly.

Guest fivestar

Oracal is my personal favorite.

Oracal 651 mostly - 751 is great - real easy to weed - Just did some experiments with  a free roll of Arlon. I must say it weeded like the 751.

Thanks-- just getting started with this stuff and it gets frustrating at times the vinyl backing gets so slick the sticker slides all over with the small stuff.

Arlon 2 mil is the best I've used. I'm not understanding what you mean by backing slick and sticker sliding. Please explain what's going on there.

2d that emotion on shinebrite from fellers ,, $14.50 for 10yds .. free S&H on $75 orders ... and weeds easy ......

Guest Terry

Thanks-- just getting started with this stuff and it gets frustrating at times the vinyl backing gets so slick the sticker slides all over with the small stuff.

Sounds like Oracal easy release blue liner.

I've NEVER had a complaint with cutting or weeding shinerite. 

Seriously.  Very aggressive adheasive.  Weeds nice.  Cuts well. 

I bought some cheapo vinyl once and it cut horribly, and I had to keep putting it in the freezer to weed it

I bought some cheapo vinyl once and it cut horribly, and I had to keep putting it in the freezer to weed it

You actually put in a freezer? LMAO

Guest fivestar

Freezer is actually a good idea, it shrinks the vinyl to make it easier to weed on small stuff.  Old timer taught me that trick back when I first got my cutter. 

Freezer is actually a good idea, it shrinks the vinyl to make it easier to weed on small stuff.  Old timer taught me that trick back when I first got my cutter. 

Yup.... Ancient Vinyl Secrets :)

Try it and tell us what happens.  Cut something and stick it in there for a few minutes before weeding

I am about to purchase a bunch of vinyl. 

I have some of the stuff from eBay. It seems kind-a thick but seems to be ok stuff.

I notice so many like the Oracal 651 and now I see 751 as well.

I have many contracts coming up from Speed shops that need front window vinyls, large car side vinyls and decals for racing go karts.

Is the Oracal 651 best for all these type applications?  Whats different about the Oracal 751?

On the go Karts I need some stuff thats a bit thick like the ebay vinyl I have now but wouldnt mind higher quality or easer to weed vinyl.  The thicker stuff ends to hold up beter on tire rubs while racing.

Also is the Oracal 651 good for small decals for car windows and body etc?  I have a contract coming up in Sept for a large Auto Dealer and they need decals for the back of the trunks on the cars/trucks etc.

I am trying to find (for the most part) a great all around vinyl brand/type.

Thanks for any input.

Eric

I am new to cutting and applying vinyl for signs and decals but have used my cutter successfully with heat transfer vinyl.  I have ordered both oracal 651 & 751.  Seems according to most posts I have chosen the right types of vinyl, but I am having a hard time cutting.  I have a Copam CP-2500 24" cutter and all it does is rip the hell out of the vinyl.  Can anyone help with proper setting so that I dont waste anymore.  Cutting window decals for local football team.  PLEASE HELP! 

I didn't know about the freezer trick.  Try doing a search for the settings or post the question in the Copam section.  I'm sure someone will help you. :)

I would have to say most all oracal vinyls are the best in my testing. It stays on the paper or Mylar while cutting small details. Some can be applied wet or dry with easy removal and resetting. The colors are great, sure the price is higher, but having less hassles is well worth the cost.

Guest sciondrgn

I use Oracal 651 and 751 mainly, I have tried some no name ebay stuff and its worked well but ive had better luck with the Oracal