kainth.c.s

Any inputs please!!??

Hello everyone

I have been asked to make this bonnet sticker combining a couple of colours on to the matt white base. Shall I tape this whole decal up and put it like a normal decal or I put it without the tape as the base white is a single piece? 
Also, I have used the vinyl which the supplier claims to last 5 to 7 years (Ecotac and Suptac from Hexis). What shall I say about the oife ofthe decal on the bonnet of the car? Any ideas to prolong its life?

IMG_20211014_222843.jpg

Hey there Kainth.c.s. -- that's a pretty good question, actually.

Transfer tape is designed to hold various parts of an entire design together as you apply it, to retain the integrity of the positioning of different elements (lettering, thin lines, etc.)

I see no reason for you to have to tape over this, when you can simply peel off the white decal and squeegee the whole thing down. (start at the bottom, peel half the backing, fold it over, and apply the exposed portion, then pull the rest off as you sweep pressure with the squeegee). Use a felt-edged squeegee!

As for durability, in 7 years, just replace it with a new one! Nothing lasts forever, ya know!

(nice work, by the way)

• Thanks 1

Personally I would tape it to make sure there is no stretching and protect it when applied.  A 7 year cast is pretty thin and easily stretched .  Just my 2 cents 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Suptac is calendared vinyl, according to what I looked up online.

Using App-tape is the rule, of course, but if he's careful he can peel this thing directly from the backing and drop it.

Hey, dakota, with inflation running so high these days, you should up that to a nickle. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My two concern with not taping is scratching it during install and flimsiness of untaped vinyl. If you have a good felt squeegee though the risk of scratching should be minimal. And If the design isn't too big working directly with vinyl shouldn't be too big a deal.

Give it a try. Worst that can happen is you mess up the vinyl and you have to do it again.

• Like 3

With that much layering work, I doubt he wants to redo it ----- 

Always remember, when removing decals from backing paper, do it by peeling away the paper from the decal, not pulling the decal from the paper.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, slice&dice said:

Using App-tape is the rule, of course, but if he's careful he can peel this thing directly from the backing and drop it.

Hey, dakota, with inflation running so high these days, you should up that to a nickle. :ph34r:

my opinion has never been worth more than the 2 cents :(

• Haha 1

dakota, don't sell yerself short. With over 21,000 posts, and 7,200 'plus' reputation rankings, many people would wholeheartedly disagree about that.

Now, let's wait and see how Kainth.c.s. handles this project! I am curious to know his result, however he ends up doing it.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the inputs. 

I decided to give the tape a go, with the same doubt in mind that it may scratch or may start to come off with the movement of the edges of the squeegee. I used the wet application method but was able to peel the tape off while the vinyl was still wet. It did lift up but I managed to squeegee it down. 

Here is the end result. 

Many thanks for the inputs

IMG_20211015_194838.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, slice&dice said:

Hey there Kainth.c.s. -- that's a pretty good question, actually.

Transfer tape is designed to hold various parts of an entire design together as you apply it, to retain the integrity of the positioning of different elements (lettering, thin lines, etc.)

I see no reason for you to have to tape over this, when you can simply peel off the white decal and squeegee the whole thing down. (start at the bottom, peel half the backing, fold it over, and apply the exposed portion, then pull the rest off as you sweep pressure with the squeegee). Use a felt-edged squeegee!

As for durability, in 7 years, just replace it with a new one! Nothing lasts forever, ya know!

(nice work, by the way)

Thank you

My concern was dure to the fact that being on a hood it would bear heat both from outside due to the weather and from inside due to the engine underneath. 

I explained the situation and he is happy even if it stays for about 3 years which I am pretty confident it will

22 hours ago, slice&dice said:

Dakota don't worry. Here we value your opinion worth of a couple of grands. 

Yes Suptac is a calendered vinyl which is less prone to stretching and I found it a bit better than cast when layering it in positions.